10W40 GTX to 15W40 Rotella T Small Block Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey been pondering with the idea of switching, been using 10W40 GTX for while in a 350 in 88 chevrolet pickup, motor has about 160K on it, been thinking of switching to Rotella 15W40 wondering what other peoples thoughts would be on this? Thanks

light hauling, stop and go traffic, using about a quart on 3K change,idling hot in traffic @ about 20 lb pressure goes up to 38-40 crusing, figured the 15-40 might be a good try

I would use Rotella T5 10w30, its on the thick side and the additives in it would do well with your driving conditions.

Not that it is necessary but the 15w40 will do great in that application. Plenty of old 350 have run a long time on HDEOs. I think if you make the switch, you will be happy that you did and will probably stick with it. Try it and let us know what you think.

will give it a shot next oil change comin up to be done here in about a week or so.. will pass along my 2 cents once i try it.... just the thought it bein 90+ here in the summer sometimes and low 20s here in winter figured 15W40 be a good choice..Thanks again for the input

In the winter the oil would be kind of thick if you do short trips when it gets close to 20* other than that it is a great oil . Give it a try.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
In the winter the oil would be kind of thick if you do short trips when it gets close to 20* other than that it is a great oil . Give it a try.

+1 maybe wait until spring, it may be another one of those icy winters and you get a better cold flow with the 10W. Those are tough trucks though.

Used 15w40 in my 89 with a 350. Was OK but cranked noticeably slower and took a little longer to get oil pressure, but always started quickly. In Pa. it gets colder at times.

Originally Posted By: UberxG
I would use Rotella T5 10w30, its on the thick side and the additives in it would do well with your driving conditions.

+1
Rotella T5 is a nice choice for an older 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back