AC DELCO PF 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone have experience with this filter??
is it original equipment?
will it hold up with out failure to normal ocis?
i have searched but all the pics have been deleted of it cut open. i like the price and hope its quality is at least competitive with the MOTORCRAFT.

i have used a/c delco oil filters for as long as i remember on all my gm cars but i STOPPED using them when they went to e core

I have one on my 2010 Saturn Outlook currently. I changed one back in November, but didn't cut it open as it was only my third time changing the oil on my vehicles and caring about the results. My next oil change on it will be late February and I will cut it open then. I have not had any issues with it so far.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i have used a/c delco oil filters for as long as i remember on all my gm cars but i STOPPED using them when they went to e core

that was the first thing i looked for. its got steel tube with small holes, alot, but very small. they look punched rather than drilled

My Tahoe uses the pf48. I do not believe this model to be an ecore design. I did see the pics of one cut open before they were removed and it's construction appeared fine, acceptable, especially given the $3.49 price.

thank you for the info. i plan on installing one on my mother-in-law's traverse today. if its a quality filter i will stick with it.

well i changed her oil today and removed a pennzoil pz 167 filter. i was curious so i cut it open for inspection. my first thought was its a good filter with metal end caps and an anti drain back valve, but as soon as i touched the element i thought differently. it had 3k on it and was very brittle. no tears until i pushed on it, then it seemed to crack. when i disassembled the element i found that the material was very thin and hard. not even half the thickness of my 820s material that lay next to it.
my thoughts are if you use an oil change shop bring your own quality filter.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
does anyone have experience with this filter??
is it original equipment?
will it hold up with out failure to normal ocis?
i have searched but all the pics have been deleted of it cut open. i like the price and hope its quality is at least competitive with the MOTORCRAFT.

The AC Delco PF-48 is the stock oil filter for LS3 small block V8 engines, like for the Corvette.
& others like my Pontiac G8 GT.

I use the NAPA Gold 7060 oil filter.

You can go to Wix Filters, & see what other OEM application calls for it.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/results.asp?PartNo=pf48&Submit=Search

Last edited:
Advance auto parts or AAP as we often call it on this forum. If you go to their website, you can buy them online and use promo code p20 during checkout and get 20% off your order.
The purolator classic is the filter I would use if I was changing oil for somebody else and didn't want to spend too much. I see you already installed the AC Delco though, no worries that is a good filter too. On page 2 of the link in my first response, I cut the AC delco open and it looked pretty good.

thanx guys
have you compared the media of the pf 48 to that of the purolator?
from the pis it looks to be thicker.

i found pureone on amazon for 5 bucks for this application. it might be worth it in large quantity.

My GMC Sierra takes this filter and of course came with one from the factory. They have metal and ecore versions that I have seen. The WalMart in my area carried both versions. Awhile back, I bought all the metal ones they had in stock for about $3.50 a piece.

Now that I am sticking with Amsoil and 10,000 mile OCI's, I have gone to what I think is a better long-term filter; the Bosch Distance Plus.

I figure if for some reason, I need a quick oil change, or decide to go back to shorter OCI's, the AC Delcos will be perfect again.

I can do a quick filter media area comparison with these filters as I cut them open. How do you calculate square area for the filter media again? What is the formula?

Originally Posted By: cronk
I think if you did a cut away, you would find the Delco has more pleats than a Puro Classic. Always used to anyways.

I just cut the purolator classic open for the heck of it so now I can compare the media between that and the AC Delco. The Purolator has 61 Pleats and the AC Delco has 55.
On an interesting note, the Purolator uses a cardboard flap on the BPV where the AC Delco uses a rubber flap. The Purolator's BPV flap did not seem to seal too well around the bottom of the end cap (cardboard on metal). On the other hand, The AC Delco made a nice tight seal (rubber on metal). Maybe someone else can give me some insight on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back