How much techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an area with no texaco or chevron stations.
how much techron (from the bottle) would you add to each tank- say 12 gallons or so to duplicate the amount of techron that would be in gas from a texaco or chevron station?
you would not think it would be much. Teaspoon or two?

Depends which Techron product - and usually they have recommended dose on the label. Me - I'll dump the whole bottle of Fuel System Cleaner in a full tank.

I don't know how much Techron is in an average tankful of Chevron gas. It could be 1/2 bottle, 1/5 bottle, who knows?I would just follow the direction and pour the whole bottle in the tank every 3k miles. That should help prevent injector deposits from having enough time inbetween treatments to form.

Search their website, they used to give vague amounts of how much Techron is in each grade of gas (it used to vary, don't know about now), and they also used to say how much the average tank gets from a bottle.

But like I said it was all vague. So it used to say things like "Texaco fuels are the only gas blends sold with a full dose of Tecron fuel system cleaner. Techron Premium 93 octane includes a full double dose of cleaning power. For maximum cleaning, use Techron fuel system cleaner to get ten times the Techron power." (quotes are an example and should NOT be taken literally, it's an example of the vagueness that used to be on their website, the numbers were made up to use simply as an example).

So like I said it was vague, but it might help you to determine what's a "normal" dose. Do a search for it.

However, simply b/c you don't have a Texaco or Chevron, doesn't mean your gas doesn't have some level of fuel system cleaner in it. I believe (but again don't quote me on this) all fuels sold in the US must have some level of system cleaner (yeah, I really need to double check that, so don't take my word for it). It's just other companies use different additives (Shell uses their "nitrogen" based cleaner, Exxon/Mobil uses something else, etc.)

I think the point of Techron in each fillup is more of a "maintenance dose" than an all-out cleaning like the concentrate is....esp if it's 1/10th as strong.

Okay, did a really quick google search and didn't find what I remembered but I did find this.

http://www.texaco.com/in-the-know/fuel-files-individual.aspx?tc=13&qc=10

"The principal difference is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean-up. Texaco gasolines with Techron over multiple fill-ups will help clean deposits on intake valves and minimize harmful combustion chambers deposits. When added to a full tank of gasoline, a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger. This mega-dose of Techron provides a much quicker clean up of intake valve deposits left by lower quality gasolines. In addition, the high concentration of Techron reduces combustion chamber deposits, which can help eliminate deposit-related engine knock."

However, in another FAQ question they state that Techron in their fuel is slightly different then the bottle of Techron. Also, i found nothing to indicate that there are any different amounts of Techron in their fuel grades. However, I didn't really look for it, but I acknowledge that I could be mistaken in remembering that

IMO..Too much fuel system cleaner might add to fuel dilution of the motor oil. So it would be hard to find the right mix for each tank of gasoline that was filled with regular gas and then adding the appropriate amount of Techron or any other fuel system cleaner. Some fuel system cleaners state that they are concentrates while others are larger bottles to be added to a full tank of gasoline.

How can you really know the right mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back