Trans Fluid recommendation...2002 4t40E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Saturn L200 with the 2.2l engine and 4t40E transmission. It has 105,000 miles. So far, the trans shifts good, maybe slightly delayed shifts (shifts out of first at 3500 rpms) but I havent owned a 4 cylinder car since I was a teenager, so maybe thats normal.

Ive changed the fluid before in a 4t45E trans, so Im familiar with the check plug, and making sure the car is level, so on and so forth. With that being said -

What brand trans fluid are you forum members using with your 4t40E transmissions? Are you using synthetic trans fluid or conventional? Any suggestions?

I don't have a 4t40E but I have its third cousin a 4t65E. It runs superbly on Mobil 1 synthetic. I recommend a full synthetic because they are more forgiving if you don't get around to changing it often.
Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 and even Maxlife should work great.

PS: I've always liked the Saturn L with the ecotec. Good Luck with it.

I am using Valvoline full syn Dex6 in my 4t65. It isn't a huge difference from Mobil 1 full syn Dex3 that I had in there.

I avoided recommending Dexron VI because I've read that some higher mileage GMs haven't liked it (I assume because its thin).

Beast3300: How long have you had it in your 4T65E and what is the mileage on the unit? I ask because I have some Dex VI and I'm not sure if I should run it next or stick with what has worked well so far.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I avoided recommending Dexron VI because I've read that some higher mileage GMs haven't liked it (I assume because its thin).

At work when I can, I will order Dex6 for a GM that I am working on. Although I don't drive somebody else's car long enough to get to know the car, I haven't received and complaints or comebacks on the Dex6. Understandably most individuals don't pay attention and just drive their cars.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Beast3300: How long have you had it in your 4T65E and what is the mileage on the unit? I ask because I have some Dex VI and I'm not sure if I should run it next or stick with what has worked well so far.

The tranny was overhauled with new everything about 4 years ago, roughly 40k miles on it. Only thing I noticed between the dex6 Valvoline and M1 dex3 is faster downshifts. For example, cruising at 60mph and punch it and it is in 2nd gear before my foot hits the floor. Everything else is no difference in upshifts or lockup etc.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the tips...synthetic seems to be the consensus. Im going to shop around this week. So where are you guys buying the synthetic trans fluid and how much are you paying a quart?

Well, I ended up going to Advance Auto website, bought 8 quarts of valvolines max-life dex/merc, and got $15 because I spent $40! So it comes out to around $3.60/qt. Not too shabby!

Bought the filter at Autozone today. Had a $20 credit on my rewards card. Paid $3.30 for the filter, and a set of license plate bulbs (mine are toast).

Cant wait to feel the difference. I will probably get around to it this week sometime - will post results, and any pics.

Well, I got around to changing the fluid and filter on my 4t40e transmission tonight in my 2002 Saturn L200...

Turns out, the magnet in the pan wasnt bad at all!! The pan had its fair share of clutch dust that I cleaned out very good and dried off with compressed air.

The fluid that was in there was slightly darkened, but by no means 'shot'. I wonder if it wasnt changed before...(I just bought the car 3 weeks ago and I didnt know the last owner). The car has 105,000 miles on it and appears to have been maintained very well.

Anyways, I refilled, double-triple-quadruple checked the fluid level through the plug while running, and brought it for a ride.

I was very impressed how smoother the shifts are. Although the old fluid wasnt brown or very worn in looking, it must've been time. I was getting abrupt shifts prior to the fluid change. Now they are much smoother and the car seems to stay in overdrive, instead of popping right out like it was doing.

Viva Le Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc! lol. Got a good deal on it at advance auto online too (store pickup).

Last edited:
Maxlife is a good product, and I've heard good things about Dex VI as well. Curious, is your tranny factory fill Dex III or Dex VI?

Originally Posted By: TMoto
Maxlife is a good product, and I've heard good things about Dex VI as well. Curious, is your tranny factory fill Dex III or Dex VI?

Its a 2002 Saturn L200, so it would be Dex III based on the year. Dex VI wasnt released until 2006, IIRC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]

Its a 2002 Saturn L200, so it would be Dex III based on the year. Dex VI wasnt released until 2006, IIRC.

I wasn't sure, but the reason I asked was that even though there are examples of Dex VI working well in Dex III trannys, there are some that had issues. So I'm coming to my own conclusion that for Dex III spec'd vehicles, the Maxlife is an excellent choice since I've not found any negative comments regarding it's use in those applications. That's what I did in my Buick, and I'd rather put in Maxlife and be done with it, rather than try Dex VI and hope for the best.

However, I'm of the opinion that if it's a Dex VI spec'd vehicle, stick with Dex VI since it's a superior product and made for that application.

I wasn't sure, but the reason I asked was that even though there are examples of Dex VI working well in Dex III trannys, there are some that had issues. So I'm coming to my own conclusion that for Dex III spec'd vehicles, the Maxlife is an excellent choice since I've not found any negative comments regarding it's use in those applications. That's what I did in my Buick, and I'd rather put in Maxlife and be done with it, rather than try Dex VI and hope for the best.

However, I'm of the opinion that if it's a Dex VI spec'd vehicle, stick with Dex VI since it's a superior product and made for that application.

Well, I refilled our 2005 L300 (4t45e transmission) with the Maxlife dex/merc back in August, and it hasnt given us any problems at all. It shifts nice and clean. Definitely cleaned up the shifts a little with the maxlife in there vs. OEM fluid. Of course, our 2005 L300 had 89k miles when I changed the fluid and filter...alittle less than the 2002 L200. Strangely, the magnet and pan looked worse (more sludge on magnet) than the 02. Either the 02's fluid & filter was changed before (I just bought the L200; we bought the L300 new) by the previous owner or its just how hard the other half drives the L300....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]

Correct. D6 out in 06 is how I remember it. It is backwards compatible with all older Dexron versions but you CANNOT use it in any transfer cases that spec Dexron 3 - there is a revised fluid GM put out for that. In that case, such as my truck, I use Mobil 1 Syn trans fluid. You cannot use the regular Mobil 1 ATF in Dexron 6 vehicles, though.

I have a 91K 2002 L200 that I purchase last year.

So to summarize, for the DEX III OEM car, I can't use DEX VI, but can use a synthetic like Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, Maxlife, and Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF? (ATF not to be confused with Chrysler ATF+4)

Is the Mobil 1 that much better than the Valvoline MaxLife? Are both synthetic? Valvoline MaxLife says it contains a blend of base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles.

Which are real synthetics and which aren't? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ems9tech
So to summarize, for the DEX III OEM car, I can't use DEX VI, but can use a synthetic like Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, Maxlife, and Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF? (ATF not to be confused with Chrysler ATF+4)

Dex VI is back-speced for Dex III applications, so it should be fine.

Quote:
Is the Mobil 1 that much better than the Valvoline MaxLife? Are both synthetic? Valvoline MaxLife says it contains a blend of base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles.

Which are real synthetics and which aren't? Thanks!

There are those here that have used both products with good results in Dex III applications, and they are both synthetic.

Personally, I believe they both have their place. In an application that is not exhibiting any issues I believe the Mobil 1 (as well as any other quality Dex VI fluid) would be an excellent choice, otherwise I'd use Maxlife. Keep in mind this is my opinion based on my limited experience and the opinions of others that I've read here. There are some very experienced posters here, some of which are mechanics or otherwise in the automotive industry, so I'd take their word over mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back