Walmart Oil for VW 1.8T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All-

I have a VW Passat B5.5 sedan with the 1.8T engine, which I know is an infamous sludge monster.

I stopped by my local Autozone to buy 5 quarts of M1 0W-40, and I noticed that the price had risen to $7.99. GC was the same price. That struck me as ridiculous.

In my area, Walmart seems to have the best prices for motor oil. They don't have M1 0-w40 or GC. Are there any oils likely to be found at Walmart that are suitable for the 1.8T (whether or not they have purchased the VW spec)? Perhaps Shell Rotella T6 5-w40?

Shell Rotella T6

The T6 is nice, and the M1 5w-40 TDT is good in the 1.8t.

There is always old faithful Castrol 5w-40 too (though I'm not a fan)

Rotella T6 5w40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. Both are proven oils.

Delvac 1 isn't bad either but that's not at every WM it seems.

If you have Autozone nearby, they have all Syntec varieties on sale through 1/10. O'Reilly has all M1 varities for $4.99/qt now, no rebate.

I wish my 'zone sold the Valvoline 5w-40. The only place I can find it is Amazon and at $50 for 6qts it's not worth it.

M1 is on sale for $5.99 at O'Reillys. Or you can buy the 5 qt plus M1 filter for $32 when AA or AZ has their sale. That's what I do.

Originally Posted By: OhioSienna
Hi All-

I have a VW Passat B5.5 sedan with the 1.8T engine, which I know is an infamous sludge monster.

Meh... 1.8T only had sludge issues if one used incorrect oil (mineral). Otherwise, no problems.

If want to stick with Walmart, Rotella T6 or M1 TDT 5w-40 should be good, as others mentioned.

VW/Audi has spec'd synthetic for their cars since the year 2000 I think. Anyone putting dino in a VAG motor is asking for problems, though I suspect it won't kill anything if you change frequently enough.

TDT and Devlac 1 used to be the same oil back in the CI-4+ days, just advertised to different markets (personal vehicles & commercial vehicles, respectively). They are no longer the same formula, but both very, very good lubricants!

To the OP, I would use Shell Rotella T6 without hesitation in your 1.8Tnevrlose.
56.gif

Delvac 1 and TDT are no longer the same product. The specs are very similar though. Delvac 1 is harder to find.

Originally Posted By: cryption
I wish my 'zone sold the Valvoline 5w-40. The only place I can find it is Amazon and at $50 for 6qts it's not worth it.

O'reilly, Checker, Schuck's, Kragen and NAPA can get it if it's not on their shelf.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Okay, it was just after that they moved to synthetic only...maybe 2003. I don't remember.

"Synthetic Only" was a TSB in 2000, it wasn't in the manual.

5w-30 Edge did great here....

Edge_7500mi_uoa.jpg

In cold temps, I couldn't resist it for my turbo VW. A fraction as thick as TDT or RTS in cold and low wear.

However, the one other oil I think may be better for you is the Mobil 1 HIGH MILES 5w-30 in a jug. Euro A5 spec, a hair under the HT/HS for VW 502, but still higher than normal 30 weights, and nice in thin in the cold.

5w-40 just doesn't do it for me.

Seems like any major 5w-30 synth can handle it, QuakerState too.

I went ahead and did some calculations for my friends here.

At -13f, a cold winter morning in the northern states....

Mobil 1 5w-40 9630cSt

Shell RTS 5w-40 6497cSt

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 3739cSt

Castrol Edge 5w-30 3312cSt

Edge 0w-20 1287cSt

-13F? That's REALLY cold. Ohio might see that temperature once or twice a year, if that.

Audi Junkie, do the same for M1 0w40, RLI 0w30, and Redline 0w30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back