Amsoil OE 5w30 - 5,670 - 1998 Toyota Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here's another UOA Report from my beloved 98 Camry V6 with 196,000 miles.

The previous Report can be found: Previous UOA on M1 0w30 (5,200 miles)
Amsoil OE 5w30 was used this time coupled with a Toyota oil filter.

I'm glad the Copper and Lead are on their way down.

The Oil was NOT drained when this sample was taken and is still in service. Currently at 6,100 miles on the fill.

I'm trying to extend my OCI's as much as possible since the car is now mostly used for business and does 70% highway miles. I plan to take it up to 7k and then change it.

Thoughts? Comments?

CamryUOA55kAmsoil.jpg

I guess it is not bad but the TBN is low for my likings in your (1MZ? engine)..You could get 2X to 2.5 better TBN, higher ZDDP using there 0w-20, ow-30 there 5w-30..I have seen way better #'s using the above at over 10 to 11,000 miles on this engine (1MZ)...

Really high lead!..I like to keep my Copper/Iron below 10PPM.No NITRATION tested????That tells a lot for this engine.....For the price, it would have been cheaper to do an OC then test..

Blackstone TBN at 2.9 after 5.6k? Not bad. You were running some additives before, right?

Is this not our first OE UOA? Honestly, stick with OEF next change and see what the Cu and Pb do.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Blackstone TBN at 2.9 after 5.6k? Not bad. You were running some additives before, right?

Is this not our first OE UOA? Honestly, stick with OEF next change and see what the Cu and Pb do.

Precisely. This is a good showing for such a cheap oil. In fact, there isn't ANYTHING wrong based on the UOA. 13ppm? You have got to be kidding me; that doesn't INDICATE ANYTHING. What is it with [censored] fear mongering everyone?

Not bad on TBN???? Are you nuts? I have had better #'s on the Amsoil 5w-30 with over 2X the miles on same engine. Using Pureone old filter too. The UOA is okay at best.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer

Precisely. This is a good showing for such a cheap oil. In fact, there isn't ANYTHING wrong based on the UOA. 13ppm? You have got to be kidding me; that doesn't INDICATE ANYTHING. What is it with [censored] fear mongering everyone?
Cheap oil? It is almost the same price as the normal group 4/5 oils with way longer drains. Why people buy it is beyond me..

Originally Posted By: snowmaker
Cheap oil? It is almost the same price as the normal group 4/5 oils with way longer drains. Why people buy it is beyond me..

List all the group 4/5 oils under $4. How about under $5?

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Not impressed with Amsoil OE if this is the best it's capable of.

One UOA in a sludge engine. What EXACTLY were you looking for? Please be specific.

One UOA in a sludge engine. What EXACTLY were you looking for? Please be specific.

OE is 5.50 a quart for an quart of oil.An off the shelf oil thats cheaper,can easily match whats been shown here.

OE is 5.50 a quart for an quart of oil.An off the shelf oil thats cheaper,can easily match whats been shown here.

OE is under $4/qt.

Easily? Why are you so sure of that? Do you have proof, or are you just speculating?

OE is under $4/qt.

Easily? Why are you so sure of that? Do you have proof, or are you just speculating?

SAE 5W-30 OE Synthetic Motor Oil says right on amsoils website 5.50 a quart

Do I have proof? A non synthetic motor oil has been able to be ran 5-8000 miles in many of our shop vehicles,not to mention customers cars. We dont rely on oil analysis,we do tear downs,etc.

SAE 5W-30 OE Synthetic Motor Oil says right on amsoils website 5.50 a quart

Do I have proof? A non synthetic motor oil has been able to be ran 5-8000 miles in many of our shop vehicles,not to mention customers cars. We dont rely on oil analysis,we do tear downs,etc.

That's MSRP. Easily had for $4.

So? And these oils would have what TBN in this exact engine, in this EXACT circumstance? Nothing wrong with tear downs.... but I thought we were talking about this UOA.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

If you're trying to extend your OCIs, why not use an oil designed for that purpose?

I'll explain it to ya...

I became an Amsoil PC and am simply testing out their different products in my own vehicles for kicks and giggles.

I plan to push Amsoil OE to the limits and then move up to Amsoil XL (10,000 miles) most likely stopping in the 15k range using ASL or SSO, in this particular engine/ driving conditions.

I guess it is not bad but the TBN is low for my likings in your (1MZ? engine)..You could get 2X to 2.5 better TBN, higher ZDDP using there 0w-20, ow-30 there 5w-30..I have seen way better #'s using the above at over 10 to 11,000 miles on this engine (1MZ)...

Link to 10k+ OCI with the 1MZ engine...?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Not bad for a certified sludge monster.

Run the oil right to 7500 miles.

I was planning to re-sample at 7k but 7.5k sounds pretty good right about now
20.gif

I think it held up nicely for a $3.99/q bottom of the Amsoil oil chain fluid.

Not bad on TBN???? Are you nuts? I have had better #'s on the Amsoil 5w-30 with over 2X the miles on same engine. Using Pureone old filter too. The UOA is okay at best.

I sampled at 5.5k simply to compare to my previous fill of M1 at roughly the same interval. I'm sure the oil can last much longer and i plan to find out soon...

^^^Exactly. I wouldn't be so hasty to say that just yet. oils perform differently depending on application. I'm sure this oil in my 2007 Civic EX can go 10k with ease (VERY efficient engine)

One UOA does not make an oil. IMO the jury is still out and will be for quite some time with this new product. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Originally Posted By: Artem
hate2work said:
I plan to push Amsoil OE to the limits and then move up to Amsoil XL (10,000 miles) most likely stopping in the 15k range using ASL or SSO, in this particular engine/ driving conditions.

snowmaker said:

Link to 10k+ OCI with the 1MZ engine...?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Not bad for a certified sludge monster.

Run the oil right to 7500 miles.

I really think you have a sludge prone engine based on year etc. I have a sludge prone engine toyo and I would not use Amsoil ASL..It is not that great of an oil in these cars.... Better luck with there ASM and SSO..And I have used ASL for years too...And the link to UOA I do not have..They are my own UOA's I had done and had an old UOA house gave me there info (old sponsor here)...I also would not use Amsoil XL oil..It is 99% the same price as there group 4/5 oils (SSo, ASM etc)..Not worth the price.

My take is this oil is not worth it; as I outlined prior. A TBN, example, after this small duration is for me, a joke.I do not think the oil would provide protection due to a really low TBN etc since the 5.5K miles is low to start with...And yea it is not linear blah blah.. 10K no way in this engine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
One UOA does not make an oil. IMO the jury is still out and will be for quite some time with this new product. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Indeed. For an under $4 oil and mainly for quick change places - decent looking oil. B and Mo are good. TBN starts under 8 because this is not a long drain oil. BLACKSTONE TBN of 2.9? FINE. I don't see why people have a problem with that? I mean really. The TBN ISN'T linear and it's dropped, what about 60% and gone the near or at the Toyota change interval. 7500 miles will not be an issue.

I do think in the summer in Fl - looking at a 5W-40 or 10W-40 may be worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back