Alternative For Hyundai / Kia PSF-III ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Kia Sedona that needs to have the power steering fluid flushed . Hyundai / Kia spec. their PSF-III which they want over $22.00 a quart for ! Surely there is a good alternative to the PSF-III , however on-line searches are vague ...some say a regular power steering fluid meets the requirement and others say a ATF that meets Dexron III will meet the requirement. Any newer information - what are other late model Hyundai / Kia owners using as an alternative to the expensive PSF-III ?

i have been using maxlife trans fluid for awhile now in my kia's. No problems what so ever. In colder weather steering seem less stiff, then the factory fill felt. But maybe its all in my head.

Get the Kia PN from the dealer. There is no OE PSFIII available in the USA.

Hyundai/Kia allow the use of any store bought generic PSF. There is nothing special about Hyundai/KIA PS systems. Almost any ATF/PSF can and will work well too.

If you go through the kiatechinfo or hmaservice websites, you'll find that they recommend generic PSF from Valvoline.

My only recommendation is to stick with a full synthetic ATF or PSF. Pick one & use it.

After much research I found that Hyundai / Kia PSF-III equals DexronII / DexronIII ATF . Within those options it appears the best available choices are : Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (covers all the Dex II's and III's) , Royal Purple Max ATF Synthetic (covers same Dexron II & III as well as Hyundai SP-III) and then perhaps Valvoline Maxlife ATF Dex/Merc . * In the past I have used conventional white bottle Valvoline PSF in a Buick with good results . Thoughts / experience with the above ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
After much research I found that Hyundai / Kia PSF-III equals DexronII / DexronIII ATF .

Where did you find that? I've poked around quite a bit too and never found anything to support that.

Hyundai supposedly did something 'special' with PSF-III because of noisy pumps in severe cold. There's also a Hyundai TSB that says don't mix PSF-II with systems that have III in it, but you can use III in systems with II??

That said, I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe that also specs PSF-III. My plan is to use something like synthetic Royal Purple PSF. I'm ~800 miles from no warranty anyway.

Joel

Last edited:
I saw it on-line in a .pdf spread sheet of compatible fluids for use with PSF-III stating Dexron II / III (Dex II is no longer in existance) can be used . The two best I found that meet that specification (as stated) are : Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Royal Purple Max ATF - both appear to be excellent. * FWIW , I complained to the Kia service manager that $22.00 for a qrt. of PSF-III was a little steep . He advised I could use Valvoline conventional PSF or a Dexron III approved ATF , the Kia PS pump designed for PSF-III is not too picky with what you use as a hydraulic fluid (unlike Kia / Hyundai automatic transmissions).

Chris, I gotta apologize! I'm mixing up my Hyundai liquid gold fluids!!! My above statements are in regards to Hyundai PSF-4. That's what my 2008 specs and I believe it's the 'latest and greatest' Hyundai and Kia PSF. I do have an MSDS on PSF-4 and it's made by Valvoline. http://dcs.hyundaidealer.com/files/resources/msds/ch67.pdf I hear it's just under $9 for a 12oz bottle at a Hyundai parts counter.

Joel

The best alternative I found was Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which mixes with anything (conventional or synthetic) and covers SP-II , SP-III , Dex-II and Dex-III . My plan is to gradually replace the current PSF using a turkey baster until the color matches the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

That has to be the funniest MSDS out there. Would you believe that PSF-4 has PSF in the list of ingredients?

From what I understand, there were a rash of under-warranty cold weather failures of pumps, seals, hoses due to excessive 'pressure' when using PSF-III, and is why the better flowing PSF-IV was created, and is also called low-temp PSF-IV.

Stick with a full synthetic universal multi-vehicle ATF/PSF and quit worrying.

If you have the PN of the PSF-III that your dealer charges $22 for, please post it. I haven't found a Kia/Hyundai dealer with it. They use generic PSF!

UnDummy : Yes , Cherokee Kia in North Georgia had six quarts of Kia PSF-III for $22.00 ea. ( I saw them myself ) . Next time I'm in for filters I'll get the P/N and post ...thanks for your previous reply - very helpful .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back