Best way to store grease gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best way to store a grease gun, the M1 grease is leaking out and making a mess.

Just about bet there will be folks swear their gun NEVER leaks, but it's common. Some may have better plunger seal than others, if you absolutely cannot stand it try ther brands of guns. To live with it keep it inside an appropriately sized plastic bag. Trash, grocery,etc. When bag gets too messy simply throw bag away. Wear gloves or wipe down with brake cleaner soaked rag when using. Needless to say store in coolest location possible, OUT OF SUN.

Bob

Pull the plunger back, hang the gun up from the plunger handle. As far as I know there is no other way.
This can cause some air pockets. The last time I tapped the side with a rubber mallet after releasing the plunger. This seemed to work ok.

I would find an appropriate sized cardboard box for it. Then I would use the plastic shopping bags you get from Walmart or Grocery stores and then bag it - put it in the box and viola a contained mess that can easily be cleaned before next usage.

Someone please remind me never to use M-1 grease. If the base oil is leaking that badly just being stored in the gun, imagine how easily it will run out (i.e. not stay in place) in a wheel bearing or tie rod.

Plus, all that oil that is leaking is what actually LUBRICATES in the application. The more oil that leaks out = the higher the % of thickener = less effective grease.

Thanks for the replies. Is M1 grease really that bad as Tempest is saying?

I'm sure the M1 grease is just fine. Whatever small amount of fluid leaks out is just a small excess of lubricant. Had the same "problem" with some batches of AMSOIL grease a few years back, but (far as I know) no-one ever lost a bearing or driveshaft because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back