Antigel Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends if it's summer or winter most blend fuel to the conditions changes i think 40 degrees for untreated. I've always only done it if temps drop below 10 degrees i'm not far far your location hope that helps.

Hey. I am wondering at what temperatures should I start to add anti gel to my fuel here in North Carolina. The only concrete answer I have found so far is this:

Quote:

Diesel petroleum fuel will start to gel up around 10F. It starts to cloud at 32 degrees, which means it is starting to gel.

So cloudy diesel is OK? It won't gum up the works?

Another good read:

Quote:

POUR AND CLOUD POINT: Pour and cloud point should be tailored for your specific climate needs. The cloud point refers to the fuel's temperature as it begins to thicken and "cloud." The pour point refers to the temperature of the diesel fuel as it thickens and will no longer pour. Some engines will fail to run at the cloud point, but all engines will fail at the pour point. Usually the cloud and pour point are 20 degrees apart. Normal cloud point often occurs at 40 F and pour point at 15-20 F with DF2 fuel. If you are in a cold climate, use winterized fuel or winter blended diesel fuel, which is a mixture of DF1 and DF2. DF1 has a lower pour point, but also has a lower viscosity, or weight, and is harder on the fuel injectors, which is why blended mixture is recommended for cooler climates.

http://www.itow.org/fuelguide.htm

It totally varies according to what is been sold at the pumps. In Alaska fuel is sometimes sold that stays usable down to -47 to -50 C.! Living in Anchorage I have never had a problem (except once, when I went to a low volume station owned by some unscrupulous people from another certain country) at temps down to -30 F. (-35 C.)
On the other hand I did have a stoppage at Christmas 1975 running Mexican diesel at ~+10 F.
Diesel fuel comes in many mixes and specifications with cloud points ranging from +40 F. to -58 F. (Jet A50).

Charlie

To answer your question. Today.
Get one with a moisture dispersant and some detergents as well.
It is just good practice in the Fall to try to eliminate excess moisture from today's fuel before winter to prevent filter freezing and get some anti-gel rolling should you catch a poor batch of fuel.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
But...when the temperature hits 32F, the cloud point, I should add AntiGel...I think.

It still depends. If you are in New England or Montana or Alaska or Canada and it hits +32F., no worries. In Mexico, big worries. Because of the qualities of the fuel being delivered.
In China they sell vehicle diesel fuels with cloud points from +5C. down to -30C.
You haven't said what vehicle you have.
If you have a heated filter/separator, it adds ~15 deg.F to the fuel.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: salesrep
It is just good practice in the Fall to try to eliminate excess moisture from today's fuel before winter to prevent filter freezing and get some anti-gel rolling should you catch a poor batch of fuel.

What do you consider to be a good additive?

Currently I use 6 oz Diesel Kleen and 6 oz TCW3 two stroke oil per 18 gal fill up.

Is this an overkill, is there a better additive to use?

Originally Posted By: salesrep

What do you consider to be a good additive?

Currently I use 6 oz Diesel Kleen and 6 oz TCW3 two stroke oil per 18 gal fill up.

Is this an overkill, is there a better additive to use?

The 6 oz. of 2 stroke is likely a little on the high side.
I think a guy should use a treatment specifically designed to go into the fuel system.
Schaeffers Diesel Treat 2000 Premium Fuel treatments are top of the line. Of course there are others.

Oldwolf,

I agree with Salesrep, the time to start using winter additives is in the fall, before it starts getting cold.

Any of the name-brand winter formula additives should do you well:

• Power Service (white bottle)
  • Stanadyne (all-season)
  • Amsoil (cold flow improver and cetane boost)
  • Schaeffer (winter version of DT2000)
  • Redline (winter version)

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Oldwolf,

I agree with Salesrep, the time to start using winter additives is in the fall, before it starts getting cold.

Any of the name-brand winter formula additives should do you well:

• Power Service (white bottle)
  • Stanadyne (all-season)
  • Amsoil (cold flow improver and cetane boost)
  • Schaeffer (winter version of DT2000)
  • Redline (winter version)

Hm, I left off Howes Diesel Treat off the list.

Keep a bottle of Diesel 911 around as well, good stuff for drying out watery fuel. If your '93 is like my '82 300D, there is no heater on the fuel filter. I also try to keep all diesel tanks as full as possible, especially in winter, to cut down on condensation. Mac's Antigel is also available at NAPA, I have a gallon in the basement that I got on sale, fortunately haven't had to use it!

I had a VW jetta TDI for many years and I used a qt of e85 gas when the temps are below -10 here in mn.

Originally Posted By: Points
I had a VW jetta TDI for many years and I used a qt of e85 gas when the temps are below -10 here in mn.

Gas in a TDI (or any modern diesel)?
crazy2.gif

Gas in old diesels can be OK per the manual, but never in a modern diesel.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If your '93 is like my '82 300D, there is no heater on the fuel filter. I also try to keep all diesel tanks as full as possible, especially in winter, to cut down on condensation.

I do have a fuel heater on my engine that is thermostatically controlled. At any rate, I am now adding 6 oz. of Diesel Kleen Anti Gel at every fill up. The winter here has been pretty mild so far though.

I usually fill up at about a quarter tank. I hear you about keeping the tank "fuller" to minimize condensation.

At what outdoor temperature should I use antigel in my diesel fuel?

That greatly depends on the quality of fuel you buy.

I keep a mason jar of untreated-by-me fuel from my local supplier of B11 in my unheated, uninsulated garage. It has remained bright, clear & completely liquid even at -28ºC [-17ºF]. I still tend to dose my fuel with Howes Diesel Treat or PS White once temps start straying down to -15ºC [low single digits ºF]. Never had a gelling problem or iced up fuel filter.

Especially with modern diesels, buying the highest quality fuel you can find is one key to long-term value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back