Who makes Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I was in Wal-Mart tonight and I noticed there is now more Super Tech oil in XOM bottles than in the conventional looking bottles. So it appears XOM is squeezing out Warren as the supplier of Super Tech oil in this area.

The synthetic and syn blend is still in Warren bottles.

That may not be the case. About a year and a half ago, I noticed the XOM bottles being replaced by WPP. It's been back to XOM for a while now. Sometimes there are changes in distribution and availability.

That is what I was hearing, but I have not seen those bottles yet.

In the three Wally World stores that I visit it's pretty much like G-Man said. WPP makes the ST 5W20 and the ST Synthetic, every other weight appears by bottle, to be XOM. Having said that, at least in my area, it's been that way for quite some time.

But, as has been pointed out, for 50 cents more a jug than ST, I can get Quaker State Green and QS HP Synthetic. And, unlike QS, no ST ($2.27qt) jug in 5W20. So, it's been QS for me lately.

If Walmart synthetic oils are made by Chevron then that's fine with me cuz Chevron produces excellent motors oil wether dino or synthetic. If it's Shell then that fits me fine too cuz Shell make good stuff too. Regardless of the brand both make excellent lubes so how picky can one be????

Durango

Warren must bottle of lot of "Store Brand" oils for retailers, Auto Parts Stores. The Advance Discount Auto Pure Synthetic oils are also bottle by Warren. They might be SOPUS base oils and the add packs may vary or else they are all supplied by the same supplier.

It very well could be that the AA Pure Synthetic is the same as the WM Super-tech Synthetic. The only way to possibly know is through a VOA.

IMO....the Supertech Dino is made by Quaker State, another SOPUS product and bottled by Warren.

I guess I don't know who makes it, but it's the same as Mag 1 full syn.

Mag 1 5W-30 full syn

20090303125514_10585.jpg

5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
API SN, SM, SL, & ILSAC GF-5, GF-4 Suitable for use where GM 4718M was previoulsy recommend

1. dot 6/1-Quart

5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Formulated to exceed ILSAC GF-5 performance requirements Mag 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil meets GM 4718M Corvette Specs.

Benefits of Mag 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil include:

* Formulated with High Phosphate Retention ZDP for extended wear performance
* Improved Fuel Economy

Inspection Data Typical Physical Properties of
MAG 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) 0.8522
Viscosity @ 40°C cSt 63.95
Viscosity @ 100°C cSt 10.93
Viscosity Index 163
Pour Point °C (°F) -45°C (-49°F)
Color 2.5
Cold Cranking Simulator at (°C), cP 4800 (-30)
High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 100°C, cP 7.15
High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 150°C, cP 3.2
Noack Volatility, % loss 10.5
Calcium, wt. % 0.169
Zinc, wt. % 0.091
Phosphorus, wt. % 0.079
Sulfur, wt. % 0.252
Boron, wt. % 0.023
Molybdenum, wt. % 0.0079
Sulfated Ash, wt. % 0.92
Nitrogen, wt. % 0.102
Pumping Viscosity at (°C), cP 18,400 (-35)
Shear Stability 9.43
Foam Seq. I (Tendency/Stability), mL 0/0
Foam Seq. II (Tendency/Stability), mL 0/0
Foam Seq. III (Tendency/Stability), mL 0/0
High Temperature Foaming, static foam 0/0
Copper Strip Corrosion (3 hrs@100°C) 1a
Gravity, °API 34.54

Ive ran Super Tech synthetic 12,000 miles with one of those 7000 mile Fram filters. There was guys who come in to get an oil change, Air Force folks from Dyess AFB, which are usualy very particular about their cars, bring in their Vettes, their 350Z's and get Super Tech.

The bottles in my local WM fluctuate......sometimes they are WPP, sometimes XOM.....

But the majority of the bottles are stamped WPP in my area.....

We all know Walmart buys from the cheapest supplier, who can keep their demands up.

When the ST shelf was getting empty at my local WM i alarmed the department manager and she called corporate and supposidely somewhere down the line WPP wasn't meeting their demands then a couple days later XOM started rolling in lol.

BTW, find it odd, I've seen ST actually "meets" SN now, but haven't seen any Mobil 1 that "meet" SN, only SL or SM.....

Something that leads me to believe ST may actually be a "SOPUS" base oil
wink.gif
Since Pennzoil/SOPUS seemed extremely "quick" on the release of their "SN" oils......[censored], they were redesigning their bottles claiming they were "SN compatible" before SN was actually put into action if I remember correctly....? They just couldn't change the "donut" spec. But the bottle stated it "met" SN GF-5...

Who knows, we will never know :p But will agree, ST oil is great stuff. Seen no problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back