Cat C-13 with Luberfiner LFP 9750 Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Install the Luberfiner LFP 9750 filter and LMB-451 base. This hole report posted is with bypass filter installed. The wear looks good but I cant understand why the TBN is up and down? Probably will extend drain intervals as much as the oil will allow. This current oil is Chevron Ursa 15w40. We buy it in bulk and we are very pleased with this oil but the TBN doesnt make sense. I know if we bought a higher quality oil we really could extend intervals but its not practical to use ase we use this oil in all of our fleet from earth moving equipment to diesel pickups.

Sorry this engine is in a KW Dump truck that work within a 100 mile radius. It is about 50/50 highway driving and stop and go traffic

723.jpg

Sample # 4 is most likely an error. The TBN is in great shape. Most likely a marginal error or allowable plus or minus margin.

I have a few questions:

Total capacity with the Luberfiner bypass and fullflow is 13 gallons?

Why are you sampling every thousand or so miles?

Are you doing the UOA or is a company?

Well im going by memory but our C13 hold 10 gal and the bypass setup adds 1 gal.

I am posting this for fyi only really. There has been some questions about this setup. Its a cheap bypass setup compared to others about $30 for the base the about $30 for filter through out luberfiner account.

We sample them and send to polaris

I personally would sample around 7K and then work the UOA upwards towards a higher UOA. A safe TBN region such as 1.0 TBN and 20 to 30 in oxid and nitration numbers should be fine. If your fuel dilution, soot, and viscosity stay within Cats allowables....keep bumping upwards towards 12-15K between oil changes for a city/highway engine. The goal would be to find your safe threshold for changing the oil. Then at each oil change send in a sample to keep an eye on the engine.

Last edited:
You know looking back at sample # 8 the following or Cat's protocol might need to be looked at. The viscosity has not been harmed, however...lubrosity can/could be effected:

Depending on application, for diesel engines, a cautionary limit is typically set at around 1.5% dilution (about -20° C flash) and a critical limit at 3% to 5% dilution (-40° C to -60° C flash). Application-specific calibration curves based on the actual test protocol (open cup, closed cup, etc.), motor oil brand/grade, and fuel type, will greatly improve precision in translating a drop in flash point to percent fuel dilution.

We will need some of the pro's to chime in at this point!!!!

I had them mess up a uoa one time. They gave me a TBN of like 7.8 and I knew that wasn't right because the oil only had a tbn of like 8 to begin with. I called them up and they retested it and corrected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back