grease advice for weed trimmer head (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a poulan PL25 weed trimmer, gas 2-cycle.
On startup of this year the gear teeth ground themselves enough to where the motor no longer turned the head on the opposite end of the gearcase. Upon close inspection, it looks like the plastic case which secures the gear bearings worn open allowing the gears to rock just a little, which in turn caused teeth to grind.
Below is the new gearcase, $40.
The grease it came with was a golden color, somewhat light, it reminds me of PennLube grease for fishing reels. What kind of grease is that exactly?
I've cleaned the grease out of the new head and want to regrease it with a grease that will help protect the gearteeth. It looks like a 1-1 ratio, the engine probably tops out at 5000 rpm, and I don't think there's any ratio where the flexshaft meets the motor. I currently have mercruiser/quicksilver 2-4-C grease with teflon, lubrimatic trailer & wheel bearing grease (green, calcium sulfonate) and also CRC aluminum complex grease (blue). I think I want an EP grease, then there's one that are moly-fortified. I'm also wondering since the part is as small as it is, gear head is only 1.25" in diameter, that maybe a light grease is better than the thicker #2 type greases. Is that original light grease a #1 grease?
Also, do I need to worry about corrosion of that bronze bushing if using another grease?
 -

-

-

If its a sealed case ,as its looks use a good 80w-140 gear oil,but NOT alot,if you can find the amount,great,,or they may spec 0 nlgi grease grade,or less,personally the way it looks ,80w-140.BL

I think the grease you're looking for is Sta-Lube All Purpose Lithium Grease. It is gold in color and has the consistancy of Gel Toothpaste. It wiil be in a light blue paper type can. I would imagine that it comes in a grease gun cartridges too.

I use this grease for the gear housings in my hand held grinders. It stays on the gears well. I have found in the past, that if the grease is too thick, it will get thrown off the gears and stack up against the gear housing. This of course renders the grease useless.

GR

thanks.
I ended up getting some lucas extra-heavy duty grease from autostore. It's a polyurea base, EP grease, product info is available at lucas website.
It's a pretty smooth buttery texture, much 'thinner' than the greases I currently have, so I think it'll do well. I packed up the case and spun it with cordless drill and rechecked it, looks good. Can't feel the gear mesh like I did with the original grease that was in there, which is good I think.

Why would you tear apart a new gear head just to clean out the new grease??? You will not gain a thing by putting in some thick grease. Face it, it is a cheap part.

I know this is an old thread but I have to comment. I have a couple of Shindawa trimmers and they have a port that is plugged by a screw that you can shoot gear grease in. Every season I shoot in a little air tool gear head grease that I got at a parts store. It is a black grease that is more like 90 weight gear oil and if it will protect a 10,000 rpm air tool gear head it should be fine for my trimmer. I comes in a squeeze tube that screws into a small hand pump injector that has a needle type tip. This works well for me for the last 10 years.

We are looking here for NLGI 0 greases....intended for open gears...

Thickeners: -LiCa (best cos it is tackier)
-Alucomplex + MoS2
-Lithium (complex pr not) + MoS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back