Rubbing Alcohol into Windshield Washer Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Why make the stuff when a gallon is $1.50?

My thoughts, exactly.

Originally Posted By: lenjack
It can't be both. One of the labels is wrong.

Perhaps it all hinges on the word "Compound". The drug store(Shoppers Drug Mart, a large Canadian chain) also sells "Rubbing Alcohol" and I seem to remember it being isopropyl alcohol.

The WWF had frozen up in my Sierra (an ongoing problem anytime the fluid has not been used in weeks and there is a sharp drop in temperature. I keep reminding myself to use the WWF system just before a cold spell) and I added a bottle of the Rubbing Alcohol Compound tothe reservoir. The next day the WWF system thawed out and I was able to use it again. I can't be positive it was the alcohol that did it since it also coincided with a break in the cold spell with the temperature lows going from -15C to -2C. Also, I think the freeze-up must be occurring at the nozzles with the alcohol content evaporating out and rain water getting in and alcohol poured into the reservoir probably has no effect on the fluid near the nozzles.

No reason you can't use ethanol as rubbing alcohol. A bit confusing for the consumer but most people wouldn't care as long as it works.

Very similar chemically to methanol which is what most WWF has, so no problem there. I don't know about the other stuff in there, but diluted into a gallon or so it seems unlikely it would do much harm.

Usually I use the orange rain x or yellow prestone fluid, but if I use blue stuff (like now since a case is $9 at Sams Club) I have always added alcohol to it no matter what company makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back