VQ35 longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how many miles can be pushed out of a vq35 engine with 6spd manual trans from a g35 sedan? I've got the amsoil remote bypass system installed on it, I do mostly freeway driving at around 65mph and I spend very little time in traffic. I drive about 400 miles per week on the freeway... weekends I do a little bit of city driving .. maybe 40 miles or less. Also, I drive it very conservatively( shifts normally at around 2.5k rmp and for more aggressive driving no higher than 4k - just whatever feels right so the engine is not being lugged. Every now and then I like to step on it but usually that's how I drive it.

Think I could get 500k out of it?

Based on your stats you "only" need to drive your car for 22 years to reach that mileage. First I would concentrate on making it to 200K miles which should take you about 10 years. Most people get the itch to get a new vehicle (let alone the chance of getting in accidents) which makes the arguement about 500K miles meaningless.

These are very solid engines. I don't know if you'll get to 500k (who can tell...), but especially with the bypass, you've got the deck stacked in your favor. Also, your driving pattern will keep the oil "dry" and minimize fuel dilution, if you see any at all. If you don't get the itch, that car has plenty of long life potential. Now, all you need to do is add GC to the regimen. . .
wink.gif
cheers.gif

Secondly, what about the rest of the car. How will it hold up over 500K miles. I would guess the engine will be the last to go the way you take care of it, But I think you will go broke replacing all the other stuff that breaks over time.

quote:

Originally posted by DaveInLA:

quote:

Originally posted by bythabay:
I do mostly freeway driving at around 65mph and I spend very little time in traffic.

Huh? You live in San Francisco, right?
confused.gif

Yes, I do live in San Francisco. I manage to avoid the traffic by leaving to work at ~6am

quote:

Huh? You live in San Francisco, right?

I have the same commute (up till a few months ago) as bythabay, and I can say yes, that is the case.

Getting out of the city at 6am will give you no traffic and you can go up to 100mph (if lucky, no cop) on freeway (280 only), but getting into the city is 20-30 mph if you are lucky.

Baby steps, Bythabay! Survive the next 50k and see how things look. (Yes, I think you could eventually get 500k from the engine. But in baby steps.)

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Baby steps, Bythabay! Survive the next 50k and see how things look. (Yes, I think you could eventually get 500k from the engine. But in baby steps.)

I'm almost at 60k :)

Assuming that you are not concerned about gas price, the engine is very reliable mechanically, and it is a stick, so the only thing I would be concerned about if I were you is the body, suspension, and interior.

GM did a study in which they found that engines could make 500K+ if the oil filters were efficient enough to filter out lower than 10 microns. Thus the UPF44 & UPF52 filters were born. I use Mobil One M1-105 filters with synthetic oil changed at 3K. Another important filter to pay attention to is the air filter. A restrictive high quality air filter will greatly increase vehicle life. I personally like the Fram Tough Guards to filter out air contaminates. My Nissan Sentra was 15 years old with 350K and ran like new without oil consumption or leaks. I gave the car away and the family is still driving it today. ~ Good Luck

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Assuming that you are not concerned about gas price, the engine is very reliable mechanically, and it is a stick, so the only thing I would be concerned about if I were you is the body, suspension, and interior.

Yea..good solid engine. You may not be able to afford gas for it 10 years from now.

If you read about all the million mile vehicles with out an overhaul articles and if they are true, Jiffy lube oil and filters seem to be the servicing they get. Service it properly and it will last as long as it will last.

There was a G35 taxi that was running in my town. I haven't seen it in a while but it would be interesting to talk to the guy and see how the car is holding up.
Maybe your car is new enough to not have the set screw eating issue? Do some reading and see if your car could have it. And didn't some of them get cat particles into the cylinder? Other than those problems I've never heard anything bad about the engines.

He made it to 99k (or so) and the car was rear-ended and totalled, so bythabay has a 2011 Infiniti G37S now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back