Shimano XTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I've got a Gary Fisher Wahoo with Shimano Deore on it. Was wondering if an upgrade to XTR would be worthwhile on this frame?

I have XTR front and rear derailleurs, crank set, and chain on my MTB. I used to have the XTR cassette, but after going through one of those, and two other SRAM top end models, I've decided to go with the less expensive cassettes. For whatever reason I am pretty hard on them. I'm one of those guys who was blessed with stronger than average legs, and I tend to muscle hills and stuff more than shifting. I do have to say that the derailleurs are very nice though. I've never had a prob with them.

Back when I used to mountain bike, XT gave about 90% of the performance of XTR at about 50% the cost, which is how I outfitted my 1998 Fisher Wahoo. These days I'm fine with anything around the Deore or LX performance/price level.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

What about rims? I know they offer XTR rims (I'm partial to Mavic but not their price) but I have no experience with them and how much better they may or may not be (as well as lighter) than my current Gary Fisher stuff.

I'm happy with my shifters for now. I was thinking dérailleurs and crankset to start with? The XTR crankset is a touch pricey I've discovered! LOL!

IMO you should spend your money on wheels & brakes; all the derailleurs I've ever had were able to be adjusted into razor-sharp shifts with judicious tweaking. Never noticed any difference in bottom brackets, crank arms, front rings or rear cassettes (unless the actual cogs were worn badly). However, going from cheapo Deore BOTB brakes to an inexpensive set of LX levers/arms/cables and Kool-Stop pads made a WORLD of difference in my ability to brake later, harder, modulate better and maintain control through even the greasiest conditions.

I went through several sets of wheels until I stopped buying cheap junk and a nice set of double-wall machined Mavics instead. I am a bit of a Clydesdale which certainly didn't help any, but even I was no match for a good set of 36 hole cross-3 wheels.

Also, be sure to lubricate your cables!

Agree with scurvy. Wheels are a big part of having a bike "feel" better/more lively, etc.

Also, unless you are replacing the entire drivetrain with XTR, just changing one component is not going to make a difference. (XTR with Deore shifters will feel almost the same as before)

Also agree with wavinwayne, if you want to upgrade stuff like that, just go with XT. As a long time rider of many high end bikes, I've had all the components. I would no longer pay the premium for XTR over XT. (I actually prefer Sram but you get my point)

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
MTB racers should use XTR. Do you race? If not, XTR is not worth the premium over XT.

Nope, just casual ride. I just like good components. And the XTR stuff is gorgeous (yes, I'm a bit wooed by the appearance).

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Agree with scurvy. Wheels are a big part of having a bike "feel" better/more lively, etc.

Also, unless you are replacing the entire drivetrain with XTR, just changing one component is not going to make a difference. (XTR with Deore shifters will feel almost the same as before)

Also agree with wavinwayne, if you want to upgrade stuff like that, just go with XT. As a long time rider of many high end bikes, I've had all the components. I would no longer pay the premium for XTR over XT. (I actually prefer Sram but you get my point)

Definitely wanting to do wheels too. The bike has 26" wheels, I'm having a hard time finding Mavic's in that size (I may be using their site incorrectly however) for a Mountain Bike application and I'm not sure how much "better" they are (I really have no clue, if they are worth it, let me know) than the XTR wheels. I'm sure either are better than what I have by a wide margin.

If I go XTR, I WILL be doing the whole bike. But likely in stages, doing key components first.

I love wrenching on stuff. Though it is typically automotive. I feel a bit like I've been neglecting my bike, and upgrading it over the winter makes sense to me.

I was looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-Shimano-XTR-FC-M980-Dyna-Crankset-42-32-24T-170mm_W0QQitemZ380299485868QQcategoryZ56195QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6094209014721909855#ht_1047wt_905

BTW, I'm seriously a bit of a newb to the bike stuff. How do I know what length crank arms I want? The ones in the link are 170mm.

This thread brings back memories.
smile.gif

I currently have a GT with XT stuff on it and have been very happy with the performance vs. pricing ratio, although I haven't even been much of a casual rider the last few years sadly, though we're getting back there. XTR is great, but weren't there some pros that complained about it not really being worth it back in the day (the 1990s)?

I agree that XT gives 90% of XTR at 50% price. If you race even XT is fine.

Crank arm length depends on inseam but usually 175m is the normal size youd find on a 17-19" frame, I'm 5'11 and a 175mm is perfect. A 170 will have you spinning nice but less torque.

OVERK1LL, believe me, you DO NOT need to go with XTR.
I believe XT is not only more durable, but costs like 50% but feels almost identical. XTR really only saves you weight, which is not worth the premium to weekend warriors. (been there, done that)

I believe XT is not only more durable, but costs like 50% but feels almost identical. XTR really only saves you weight, which is not worth the premium to weekend warriors. (been there, done that)

But it is pretty! LMAO!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

But it is pretty! LMAO!
grin.gif

That it is. But with 100% honesty you'd be happy you saved the $ because the new XT is an excellent groupo. The performance is still excellent and the price is attractive for essentially a high-end setup. If you haven't before, you should seriously looking into Sram. I actually switched my last 2 bikes from Shimano to SRAM (just for the shifters/der) because the feel is so positive. I love X-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back