C2 and C3 oils in petrol engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mate.
Not at all.We use Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 C3 in most holden's with out a single drama.Both Diesel and Petrol engine's.
Cheers.
Bob.

Depends entirely on the application and the sulphur content of the petrol being used.

I'm running a C3 oil at the moment (Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30), but do not intend to run it more than 10,000 km. It started off with a low TBN (5.5) to begin with, and the high sulphur content in our petrol (500 ppm) isn't exactly doing it any good.

Low SAPS oils tend to be aimed at vehicles with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs), so unless the manufacturer recommends a low SAPS or mid SAPS oil, I would say just stick with an ACEA A3/B3/B4 rated oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Hi Mate.
Not at all.We use Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 C3 in most holden's with out a single drama.Both Diesel and Petrol engine's.
Cheers.
Bob.

Hi Bob. At the retail level I only ever see Magnatec 10W40 on the shelves. Yet I notice that the dealers often have different grades of Magnatec and also Castrol FMX for bulk oils, this stuff you don't normally see at retail outlets.

I've also heard the stuff that the dealer get as bulk oil sometimes referred to as "Magnatec Professional". I was just wondering if there's much quality difference between the ordinary Magnatec 10W40 that I buy retail and the stuff like the 5W40 that you use.

Also I've heard that "Castrol FMX" is very similar to the "Magnatec professional". Do you know anything about this? My local Toyota dealer apparently uses Castrol FMX as their bulk oil.

Thanks.
smile.gif

I was thinking of runing the Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 spec's are below. Currently running Mobil 1 5w30, best oil I have had in Commodore V6 3800 (1996 engine), very quite, smooth and free revving. Except its drinking it a little too much.

It seems to be best oil I've had in there except for the increase in consumption. I think its primarily due to the low tension piston rings used in the 1st series of ecotec V6 motors.

I figured a XHVI group 3 oil may slow it down. Moribundman in another thread spoke about Group 4 oils were consumed at a high rate than Group 3's in some engines. I'll try the Shell Helix 5w30 first before switching to the Shell Helix 5w40.

Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30
ACEA: C2/C3 (A3/B4)
BMW Long Life-04
Mercedes Benz 229.51
VW 504/507
Chrysler MS-11106
Fiat 9.5535 S1 meets requirements
Porsche C30
PSA B71 2290 approved

Typical Physical Characteristics
SAE Viscosity grade 5W-30
Kinematic Viscosity ASTM D 445