Super Tech 3980 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all. this came off of my neighbors tahoe. 5.7L 350 v8. it was ran about 7000 miles. (she uses her OLM, and normally goes past what it says) it was ran with a full quart of Lucas and the 4 remaining quarts where Quaker state conventional 5w30. every time i have ever changed her oil, i have never gotten more then 3 quarts out. ive talked to her about this, ive also tried talking to her about maybe switching to a better oil or betterfilter. she listens to nothing, but gives me $5 per change, so i continue doing it. it actually has a fram ocod on it now.

heres the pics. like every filter ive ever taken off of her vehicle, it looks perfect in every way! somehow always much better looking then the filters i take off of my grand prix that i baby and maintain the [censored] out of

100_0143.jpg

100_0146.jpg

This is the same filter that my dads old Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (3.4L DOHC V6) used. Every one of them that I cut open was perfect. Lots of filter media, and it was all spaced evenly. The only reason I went to a different filter is to see if it would have any impact on startup rattle.

Been some time back, but back then the ST filters were made in the Champion Lab. A very good filter for a very good price.
I know many who also run them on motorcycles too.

That's a lot of money to get for an oil change. Bet you're just looking and waiting for the next one.
smirk.gif

That neighbor is a real "smart cookie" on those oil/filter blends/choices.

This is why used cars are a gamble and a half, to me, IMHO, etc.

I wish you were my neighbor. Maybe the neighbor is pretty smart, getting a custom oil change for $5 labor.

Filter looks good. Still wouldn't trust an ecore though. Inherent risk in the design will always be there until they make changes.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Filter looks good. Still wouldn't trust an ecore though. Inherent risk in the design will always be there until they make changes.

I realize the odds of wrecking your car driving it are probably better than ever having a filter failure take out the engine....but I agree--I'm not enthusiastic about the current design either.
It is so close to being a great filter design with a few changes, IMO.

Honestly looks fine, even moreso for 7K. Unlike some ecores posted here, pleats even and tight, hard to quibble for ~$2.84. Seeing as it's a GM application, no combo valve, just adbv. The nitrile combo valve design could be problematic at times, IMO. I prefer a classic filter design.

Nice of you to do it for $5.00, charitable I'd call it. Neighbor sounds like a dandy, checking oil not a priority. In her case 1/2qt. overfill would be a good thing.

Curious, what oil she used this time? Surprised she used Quaker State last time and not cheaper ST.

she used quaker state again. used valvoline once before the swtich to quaker state. shes only bought super tech once and it was the "high mileage" kind.
im also surprised it held up that well with a full quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in it. that is some thick and VERY sticky stuff.
i could really care less about the $5. i did it for free when i was laid off (i realize thats kinda backwards). i have 2 kids, both under the age of 3, so i dont mind getting out of the house for a few minutes every now and then

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back