What meen Alkylated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok mobil product named CHASSIS GREASE LBZ have base oil ALKYLATED what is that???

It is a term from organic chemistry, and I don't remember much about it. I tried googleing it and also encyclopedia, but just came up with some natural occuring stuff, including caffeine. Not much help, it has been too long. Once you come up with a definition I don't think you'll get any satisfaction out of it. If I can lay my hands on an old text book I'll post again.
dunno.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkylation

"Alkylation is the transfer of an alkyl group from one molecule to another."

Alkylation has been used in producing high-octane gasoline for many years.

ExxonMobil uses alkylation of napthalene to produce a blend stock that can be used in lieu of esters with a PAO base stock for lubricants, including motor oil.

"ExxonMobil uses alkylation of napthalene to produce a blend stock that can be used in lieu of esters with a PAO base stock for lubricants, including motor oil."

Correct at a lower price than a "ester" and with better hydrolitic stability aswell as a few other advantages.
bruce

The appearance of these AN's by Mobil is not bright and clear, BTW.

They are yellowish or amber.

And the 12 cSt version is more like 13.5 cSt.

worshippy.gif

Not to split hairs But "bright and clear" always ment a sharp clear oil that you can read through Not a color, which would be Yellow or Amber to different things.

A oil can be bright and clear and yellow at the same time I think it came from the OLD days when base stocks etc would/could have some cloudiness or haze or even a precipitate in them.

Bye the way how about this one?
Anyone know what it means?

BW+S

Bruce

smile.gif

The sample fluid I have is
"transparent" but yellowish.

Bright and clear usually refers to a fluid that is white and clear as water, such as the Spectrasyn fluids.

"Bright and clear usually refers to a fluid that is white and clear as water"

No Actually that is called "water White"
As I said Bright and Clear only refers to a oil that is clear enought to read text through.

"the sample fluid I have is
"transparent" but yellowish"

I'd call that Bright and clear color yellow

bruce

Thanks, but I'll stick with, "Transparent with a Yellowish Tint."

Optically, it is neat stuff. We'll see how it performs in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back