Additive to help quiet a bad wrist pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have an LD9 Twin-Cam 2.4l motor in my 1997 grand am, 174,000 miles. It has had a bad wrist pin for over 2 years now, and the noise and vibration has slowly gotten worse in that timespan. What additive/oil would you guys recommend to help quiet and/or cushion the bad wrist pin? it isn't cost effective or worth my time to fix the problem, considering how old the car is and what i paid for it. so for now, i'm just looking for something to "mask" the problem, aka quiet this stupid wrist pin down! maybe a thicker oil would help?

Last edited:
Ok,,u could add 32 oz of stp, one quart over fill will not mess up ur engine,,its already messed up,and if ur not gonna fix it or replace the car,,what have u to loose? It appears u have entered a no win situation, so try one quart of stp ,amen?

Originally Posted By: jorton
How is a wrist pin lubed?

ditto that. i have no idea either. but i have tried a bottle of STP in the past, i think its 15 ounces. i've also tried lucas way back when. didnt really make a difference.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer, pretty much worthless for just about everything, but effective at quieting problem engines down.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Lucas Oil Stabilizer, pretty much worthless for just about everything, but effective at quieting problem engines down.

would you recommend substituting an entire quart of lucas for a quart of oil? my sump only holds 4 quarts, so that would be 25%...

If you are looking to mask something then yes, add the full quart. Keep in mind Lucas will thicken up your oil considerably which in the winter time is not a good idea. That's if you plan on keeping the car.

What are your plans for the vehicle? Typically people looking to sell a car with engine noises and not caring, use something like Lucas to mask the noises. I worked for a very brief time for a dealership that had a mechanic add Lucas to Wholesale units to quiet engines down to try and squeeze a few $$ more out of them. Not the most ethical thing to do, but we aren't talking ethics here, just masking noises.

If you're using a 5w30 or 10w30 oil, simply step up to a 0w40 or 5w40 oil. No need to add any snot thickeners. All you have to do is step up a weight.

If you are looking to mask something then yes, add the full quart. Keep in mind Lucas will thicken up your oil considerably which in the winter time is not a good idea. That's if you plan on keeping the car.

What are your plans for the vehicle? Typically people looking to sell a car with engine noises and not caring, use something like Lucas to mask the noises. I worked for a very brief time for a dealership that had a mechanic add Lucas to Wholesale units to quiet engines down to try and squeeze a few $$ more out of them. Not the most ethical thing to do, but we aren't talking ethics here, just masking noises.

yes i am looking to keep the car. but as for thickening the oil, i'd just use maybe 3 quarts of 5w-20 and a quart of lucas. it'll still be thick as snot, but oh well. i've tried thick oils in this car before, like GC, which is very close to a 40wt. and i've tried using a half quart of lucas before a long time ago, and i honestly cant remember if it helped or not.

Lucas worked wonders at the dealership, it is going to work better with an oil "thicker" than a 5w20 though. I think your blend will still be better than a xxW-40 would be, but for best results I think a 5W30 and the Lucas will do a better job masking. Remember you might hear the ticking of lifters when you first fire it up on a cold morning.

Please keep in mind I'm not a fan of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, in fact I think it's garbage. However in this situation it has merit. I've heard what it can do to muffle a nosiy engine. It is not getting to the cause of the noise, it is just masking it. Which you are fully aware of reading your earlier comments.

oh trust me, i'm no fan of it either. my old signature made that clear
laugh.gif
haha. but just doing a quick calculation, with a 5w-20 oil (3 quarts oil to 1 quart of Lucas) it would yield approximately a 34w-45, and a quart of Lucas mixed with 3 quarts of 5w-30 would yield something like a 34w-53. so either way, thats pretty darn thick. and assuming that i do follow through and do this relatively soon, seeing that my next OC is in about 1,200 miles and its winter in Michigan, i think i'd go with the 5w-20, so i can at least maybe still have a reasonable cold pour point!

and my calculations were made, while assuming the the Lucas snot is a 120wt. which supposedly a representative for Lucas told a member on this site. i found that information on a post from last year.

Last edited:
Im buying,,and I hve a headache and on and on,,,anyone wanna go, this above problem is experiment anyway,,,,go put a Jasper engine in it ,,,tada,,its fixed.

Wrist pin noise can go on a long time but there is no real way to mask it or quieten it that works for more than a few miles if at all.

UPDATE: so yesterday i added 3 quarts of MC5000 5w-20 and 1 quart of Lucas. I drove about 60 miles today, all rural highways, with a few stop and go's and 2 cold starts in approximately 42-45 degree F weather. The engine does seem a little smoother and quieter while driving, and i haven't gotten any startup wrist pin lashing yet
grin.gif
For the record, I'm using a Purolator Classic filer, P/N 14006. I'll see how I like it over the course of this OCI and I'll gladly post my findings.

But another question.. what do you guys suggest for an OCI on this snot concoction that's in my sump? I know the filter is good for 6k/7k+ miles, but i'm guessing that the Lucas has lowered the TBN of the oil mixture and has also diluted the additive package. I dumped my last OCI at 2,500 miles. Besides the fact that i wanted to remedy my engine noise, the oil was quite black... after only 2,500 miles. I do anywhere from 50%-90% rural country roads, and only 10%-50% city. and by city, i still mean roads with 40+ mph speed limits, but with some stopping quite frequently for traffic signals.

Last edited:
Glad the Lucas worked, it did at the dealership I worked at. I'd change the oil in 3000 miles, you'll notice if you don't add the Lucas back the noise will return. All it is doing is masking the sound, you might find in a 1000 miles or less the noise could return, and it might not. These types of repairs are hit or miss
smile.gif

Glad the Lucas worked, it did at the dealership I worked at. I'd change the oil in 3000 miles, you'll notice if you don't add the Lucas back the noise will return. All it is doing is masking the sound, you might find in a 1000 miles or less the noise could return, and it might not. These types of repairs are hit or miss
smile.gif

I was thinking 3,000 miles for the OCI as well. But for the next fill, i was considering maybe a 15w-50 or something similar for the fill? what is it about Lucas that quiets noisy engines... is it simply the viscosity, or is it the stuff in Lucas that makes it cling to every surface and makes it all gooey and stretchy that makes engines quiet?(anyone who has ever poured a bottle of Lucas knows how clingy and sticky this stuff is). because if it is simply the high viscosity that makes Lucas the noisy engine cure, then maybe i'll try a really thick oil instead, no additives. hmm. anyone have any guesses?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back