New and Better Bicycle Grease ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor stopped to visit as I was replacing

and re-packing bearings on my road bicycle...

He saw that I was using hi-temp automobile

disc brake bearing grease...

According to him I should be using a modern-day

specialized grease...

Can someone explain this, because I still

don't understand why ??

Just got some schaeffers 238#0,yup zero nlgi grade for my bicycles,(I have 17 currently),for repacking bearings,looks like it will be a hit,if you want some,,check with Schaeffers on the 1-800-325-9962,ask for special order dept. as this will work,,,comes in a 7# tub,,,BL

My guess is that the auto bearing grease is thicker than modern bicycle grease. Thicker grease = a slower wheel.

I use Park Tools grease for my mountain bike wheel bearings. It works like a charm. Rock-N-Roll Super Slick grease works great, too.

Thanks, Bian, and thanks, Wavinwayne ...

Good products or you wouldn't recommend them ...

Wavinwayne, you reminded me. Somewhere I read
that bicycle racers do not use grease in their
wheel bearings because it does slow down their
speed. What they use is a light weight oil.

Thanks again to both of you ...

Yes I used a #2 Amsoil Grease for my wheel bearings and while it worked, I think a thinner grease would spin easier.

If you could get a good synthetic #1 you would be good, I have it but not in a convenient size. I would have to buy a pail of grease for that. Which I think is a bummer.

Besides the thickness grade differences mentioned above, most bicycle greases tend to be of a soap base that is more water resistant than lithium auto grease.

I believe (not positive) that Phil's is polyurea grease and that Shimano is aluminum based.

Park's is also polyurea, "I think".

Just put some of the Schaeffers 238 #0 vis. ,in one of my Marin mt. bikes,with LX hubs,,,,,what a change,set up the bearings and took for a short ride,28f outside,works nice ,no leakage when i got back,spins really good,,the valve stops on the bottom when bike wheel is spun upside down,,very low friction............BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back