wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see many grease with moly, many without it, and a few of them with PTFE. I read some people claiming that moly can cause some extra wear over conventional grease on ball and roller bearings because it's a hard material.

Questions:
1. Is there some truth to this?
2. What is the shape and size of the moly in grease?
3. How does moly compares to PTFE with regards to being used as an EP agent in grease?
4. What type of grease people find best for ball or roller wheel bearings?
5. Of those greases sold in various outlets (Shucks, Napa, Pep-Boys, Autozone, Sears, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc) which one do people like most?

TIA

quote:

Questions:

No, moly comes in powders and in soluble form. The soluble form is used in most lubes these days, even greases; I.E., Redline's CV2.

quote:

Too small to see.

quote:

3. How does moly compares to PTFE with regards to being used as an EP agent in grease?

PTFE powder in grease only thickens the grease and does not provide any Extreme-Pressure protection.

quote:

4. What type of grease people find best for ball or roller wheel bearings?
5. Of those greases sold in various outlets (Shucks, Napa, Pep-Boys, Autozone, Sears, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc) which one do people like ?

Redline CV2 or Schaeffer's series of #1 or #2 sodium complex or aluminum complex moly greases.

There are two white papers on the Grease topic in "Science and Technology of Lubricant and Oil Additives."

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000221

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depends Moly powders offers no roller bearing help works well on a plain bearing tho. In a roller bearing the soluble DTC is best.
Rdeline CV2 is agreat all around grease.

quote:

depends Powder is less than 1 micron and is a Laminar crystal shape.

quote:

PTFE powder in grease only thickens the grease and does not provide any Extreme-Pressure protection. Correct teflon will not wet or stick to oily metal and is only good as a "dry film" Lubricant.

Bruce

So you see, aurgathor, there's still no consensus. Two of the true experts, Molakule and GeorgeCLS, on the forum disagree. Now, I am no expert, but I have been repacking wheel bearings for 45 years. The only problems I've encountered with wheel bearings have been from submursion in water (crossing streams, etc.), and from using Ford-spec. grease containing moly. Grease, as Molakule indicates above, has improved over the years and some moly grease contains the 'smaller', less abrasive particles of the additive, than the lesser greases...but, I don't use grease with moly for wheel bearings or for universal joints. Here's my rationale: There's disagreement among the experts on the use of moly grease for the above purposes...but few would say a good, well-spec'ed grease without moly will harm roller bearings, such as found in u-joints or wheel bearings. Although I use Chevron Delo #2 or Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. #2 (both Lith-complex greases with excellent reputations and spec's) other greases are just as good, and an alumn. complex grease should be better for special usages, such as boat-trailer wheel bearings. In summary, I'm certainly NOT against the use of moly grease. I use it in sliding joints and the centering bearing on caradan joints.

Thanks for the post & link for Mobil Infinitec 152, Kestas! The specs. DO look excellent. While I KNOW from year of experience that both t Chevron Delvac #2 & Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. #2 are great, overall for both wheel bearings and universal joints (their specs. are also excellent), I'm going to go by a Mobil distributor and pick up a case of the Infinitec 152 for wheel bearing, specific usage. If I'm not wrong, GeorgeCLS, or another person mentioned that grease in an old post. I stated earlier in this thread that, "Other greases are just as good." Infinitec looks like it may well be BETTER for wheel-bearing specific usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back