SCCA Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a great year with the Subaru racing with the Sports Car Club of America, ended up as the 2010 SCCA ProSolo STX National Champion with a perfect win record for the season! Also, after this past Sunday, was also crowned the SCCA Houston Region STX Points Champion, as well as the Overall #1 driver ranking for the HotShoeFactor.com website. Very cool. I am also in the hunt for a TV show on SPEED channel that will be filming in Houston on Jan 8th called "Forum Wars: Season 2" pitting a Mitsubishi Lancer EVOX against a Subaru Impreza STI.

Here is a very short lap from the last race of the season with the Houston Region, a very very short and tight course, much moreso than we are used to! Be sure to click on "Watch in 1080p HD"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7AsLs_eRX4

Also, from the ProSolo National Championships (combines drag racing and autocrossing)--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Q4OritIKQ

JamesWilsonProSolo.jpg

Thought you might enjoy!

Congrats! Hopefully you get that show deal as well, sounds like it would be fun. Its good to see what really fast driving looks like as well, very neat and tidy! I like to get more sideways but its just fun, not usually faster... That first course is like the ones we have, due to our small lots, but its impressive how close you get to the cones consistently.
That drag racing start is interesting, I guess you don't use higher revs to launch so you don't break something? Also what tires do you run? The seem pretty sticky for not R-comps.

I use the Dunlop Direzza Z1, as in this class the rules are built around true street tires and not even DOT R-Compound race tires. I typically launch somewhere around 5800-6500rpm at a ProSolo depending on the surface and tire temp, anything less and the car just bogs, anything more and I get front wheelspin (worn out center diff and lots of weight transfer), so there is not too much risk of breaking things. If I had race tires and a stronger clutch, then gears would be going bye-bye
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Congrats!!

Which stage Cobb is that thing, and who's coilovers are you using? (I forgot what the ST rules allow.)

Version 1 (old) AccessPort with the STX Map (no boost changes, just ups the rev limiter and does some fuel and timing stuff), and some 70K+ mile old BC Racing basic single-adjustable coilovers with the factory 8K/6K springs. Sorry, not very exotic. I am a firm believer that driver comfort with the car is much more important than the latest/greatest/most expensive parts....so I first fixed the A/C, got the cruise control working (I drove the car to every race, never trailered!), and run the softest spring rates of anyone in the country.

And apparently if you get SportsCar Magazine, I have an interview and pictures this month. I haven't gotten my issue in the mail yet, but that's what I've read.

Thanks Johnny!
grin.gif

I just watched your in car camera at Houston. Looks like you left foot brake? And I see you pumping the gas midcorner? You look pretty relaxed as well. I have to work on that, about 2/3 through a good run I start to worry about finishing it well, and either back off a bit, or try to squeeze more out of it and mess up...

I'm going watch all your videos this winter and try to pick up some good habits and mentally practice for next year... Another Neon is showing up in G-stock and an E-stock miata is going to be tough to beat. He got some used R-comps and he was very fast on mediocre street tires...

No gas pumping, the center diff is funky and it bounces on righthand full-power corner exits. The stock seat is also broken, so it moves quite a bit and exaggerates any driver movement
smile.gif

You're competitors must love getting beat by you! An undersprung WRX with old shocks that hops when you get on the gas turning right... I'm sure some guys have more in shocks than your whole car.
I think a couple of us in our club scared off a couple guys with nice 240SX's. We were nice to them and gave them all the ride alongs they wanted, but getting beat by a 90's Dodge Colt, an old Neon, and a plain jane 2001 civic sedan by seconds on raw time didn't seem to sit well with them.

Very cool! Congrats!!...

I've never seen an impreza that planted in the rear, most seem to be a bit tail-happy if off the gas.

Any issues with the dunlops "tearing" apart? Few NY guys have had that issue, then again our surface is nearly rally-cross compared to that vid.

ps~ appears the grip is effecting the surrounding of the door handle in the pro-solo vid~
smile.gif

Last edited:
We start filming the TV show for SPEED Channel on January 8, a sneak preview-- 2011 Subaru WRX STI Sedan, ~400hp, 265-width Toyo R1R tires, lots of good times
smile.gif

I will note that this car is FOR SALE now that I have the 2011 WRX finally in the driveway...asking $9K but I am a highly motivated seller and can be haggled with. No-rust southern/Texas car all it's life. PM or post for details!

UOA on the PU?? Is the '11 WRX in your sig the same as the 400 hp STI mentioned above? How long will you keep the FF in?

We want details!

19.gif

-Dennis

Subaru of America in conjunction with a local dealership has provided the 2011 STI for the TV show. Mods are secret until filming next weekend. The car is done and in my driveway at the moment.......the forum censor would explode if I used the words to describe how fast this car is!!!!

The dealership will be sponsoring the 2011 WRX (non-STI) for SCCA racing this coming season, and will be raced in D-Stock with limited prep (front sway bar, adjustable struts, exhaust, and r-compound tires....that's all that's allowed basically).

Factory fill probably for 1K miles, then switch to PU 5w-40 or T6 5w-40...the only other option on the radar is the Subaru Synthetic 5w-30 but with the kind of driving I do, I think something beefier is in order!

PS-- I have 32 miles on it now, it's going to be a pain to update that sig line haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back