lubing chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.
When lubing the ball joint fittings, does it make any difference if weight is on the wheels?

At the shop where I can use a lift, they have one where you just drive the car on and it lifts the whole works. They have several where you have to position arms under four points of the frame. The wheels extend until the suspension "tops out" I guess you'd call it.

Thanks

What I always did (and I believe this is the correct procedure) when my vehicles had zerks on the lower ball joint was to place a floor jack under the lower 'A' Arm and raise it until the tire was just off the ground and then grease the ball joint until the seal just began to expand. This method worked for me...I've only had to replace lower ball joints once, and the car had 210,000 miles on it at the time.

We have always raised the front of the vehicle and left the steering unlocked so to be able to move the linkage back and forth while greasing. At least on all my cars I have to move the linkage to get to all the fittings.

I would never have a lube shop grease my car. 90% of the baboons working there over fill and bust the boots. They also tend do squirt grease all over the fitting. Some of the guys may be more professional, but I haven't seen any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back