England? + snow + lack of experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a BMW. they are notoriously bad AWD vehicles. I remember a Top Gear episodes where one could not get up a small grassy hill. A Range Rover flew by it.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
it's a BMW. they are notoriously bad AWD vehicles. I remember a Top Gear episodes where one could not get up a small grassy hill. A Range Rover flew by it.

It's a 1-Series hatchback, not an X.

Originally Posted By: rshunter

It's a 1-Series, not a X.

I know that. They're all bad.

BMW's are fine RWD when equipped with winter tires or decent in winter all-seasons. The problem is out of the box(factory) they are equipped with wider performance oriented summer or all-season tires that don't do well in winter. Most are leased and owners don't spend money on proper tires as they can barely afford the car.

The Top Gear episode was of an X6 with high performance summer-only tires. The fact that it couldn't climb a hill really doesn't speak to BMW's AWD system so much as it speaks to the tires, just as the video here is of someone who obviously has the wrong tires for the conditions.

I just don't get the logic of so many here who jump all over the manufacturer when the fault lies with the ignorance of the driver.

Not just England...could be Atlanta or Seattle. Like the following vid....Take your foot off the brake, place the car in low and STEER!

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
I just don't get the logic of so many here who jump all over the manufacturer when the fault lies with the ignorance of the driver.

It's easier...

BIG EVIL CORPORATION -vs- poor little lady

Drew, that video you posted reminds me of a Seattlite (Seattletonian?) on another forum who swore up and down that the best tires for snow were summer only performance tires. Nobody could convince him otherwise.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Most are leased and owners don't spend money on proper tires as they can barely afford the car.

Around here, most of the richie riches who own, or lease them can much more than afford the car, let alone a second set of proper 'Tire Rack' winter wheels/tires.

They just do not want to be bothered, or are just too lazy (automotive-wise) to be bothered.
wink.gif

I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in the early 80's. At that time we had "the worst winter in 80 yrs" and the Brits were TOTALLY unprepared. They had no snow removal equipment to speak of and the roads around the base were drifted over pretty good. The locals I spoke to had never even heard of snow tires. Heavy equipment from the base cleared some of it for them, but didn't range too far. Quite a mess.

Their weather is generally pretty mild, adn I would say it's only in the north where some might have a clue. Plus, as with here, the huddle masses don't have the "Get'r done!" ethos that those of us here might have. In my experience.

She should've sprung for the AWD version =P

In related news; not to sound sexist. But this is literally why i drive my gal everywhere she needs to go when it snows.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I'll bet that just straightening her front wheels would have been enough to get her moving.

Ed

Yep. Given the normal weather in England, I'm not surprised that ppl are not used to snow on the ground.

Poor thing, though. I can only imagine how bad she feels about hitting the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back