pennzoil 707L

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Im curious if anyone has used pennzoil 707L? It is a "premium grease" with EP properties. However, there is no note of moly. It is a nice red color.

I have used it for wheel bearings in my 83 mercedes. It is a grease that is compatible with disc brake bearings (MANY greases are NOT).

It bleeds much less than other greases, is a lithium base, supposedly exceeding all manufacturers requirements for bearings and all suspenson components, etc.

But ive never used it in a grease gun, and with suspension parts.

Anyone used it? Can it be mixed with typical black color lithium complex moly fortified grease? Does 707L have moly in it? can I use it in u-joints?

Thanks

According to the datasheet, it's an NLGI#2, GC/LB grease. It says it's fine for U-joints. My concern would be the water wash-out. The stuff's cheap enough -- you might just want to buy some and give it the 'ol water-in-the-palm test.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/Grease/pdf/PremiumWheelBearing707LRed.PDF

NLGI Grade 2
NLGI Service Classification GC-LB
Thickener Type Lithium Complex
Color Red
Texture Adhesive, Smooth

Penetration @ 77°F
Worked, 60 strokes ASTM D-217 280
Worked, 10,000 strokes ASTM D-217 289
Shell, 4 Hr. Roll Stability ASTM D-1831
Penetration change, % +8
Dropping Point, °F(°C) ASTM D-2265 500 (260)
Timken EP Test, OK Load, lbs ASTM D-2509 45
Four Ball Extreme Pressure Test ASTM D-2596
Weld Load, kg 315
Load Wear Index 50
Four Ball Wear Test, scar diameter, mm ASTM D-2266 0.54
Wheel Bearing Life Test, hours of life, Min. ASTM D-3527 100
Low Temperature Torque, N-m @ -40°C ASTM D-4693 13
Water Washout Test, % wt. loss @ 175°F ASTM D-1264 4.1
Oxidation Stability, 100 hr. psi loss @ 210°F ASTM D-942 5
Copper Corrosion, rating ASTM D-4048 Pass
Rust Prevention ASTM D-1743 Pass
Oil Separation, % loss ASTM D-1742 1.2
Wheel Bearing Leakage, gm ASTM D-4290 1.4

Base Oil Properties
Viscosity:
@ 40°C, cSt ASTM D-445 214
@ 100°C, cSt ASTM D-445 15.7
Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270 67

Whats so bad about water washout?

You cite the value to be:
Water Washout Test, % wt. loss @ 175°F ASTM D-1264 4.1

So its 4.1%... The 302 moly fortified (NOT for disc brake bearings) is specced for marine wheel bearing (boat trailer, etc) use, and its water washout value is 5%.

Is there a schaeffers or other grease that is really that much better?

Thanks!

JHZR2: The 707L is an excellent wheel bearing grease and can be used to lubricate chassic parts. I would not mix it with a moly grease (just my opinion). I have used this grease for over 20 years in everything from wheel bearings, ball joints, u-joints, and boat trailer wheel bearing grease. It's only been red for a few years, it use to be carmel color, but everyone loves red grease. Use it, it's a great product.

Schaeffers EP-800 is also along with grease a excellent choise,its aluminum complex and deals with extreme pressurs well,also the 274 is also good,,,check out the Mystik high temp.(red) lithium complex and one of my favs the mystik SX-6 semi,Lubrication enginners have really great greases,,and of course Amsoil is a good mainstay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BL

Johnny,

Even if it is just your opinion, can you explain why you wouldnt mix it with moly grease???

Ive been using pennzoil 302 w/moly for a while, but like the red stuff... not because its red
wink.gif

JMH,

Let me step back a minute. Did not realize you were using 302. The 302 uses the same type thickners as 707L, so you can mix those. Just don't use the 302 for wheel bearing applications. I try to be careful when recommending greases because you never know what someone has been using, and some greases to not mix well. IMHO the TTM302 grease you have is one of the better "automotive" chassis greases on the market. If you have a small boat trailer that does not have brakes, the 705 grease is a great product. Mixes well with water.

thanks for the info... so would the reason why you wouldnt want to mix 707 with a generic moly grease be that the thickeners wouldnt be compatible???

Isnt the 707 a Li complex and the 302 Moly a Li-hydroxy (Li-12OH)? Does this make a difference?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Those will mix in our product line. You do not want to mix the 707L with a (boy am I going to butcher the spelling of this)polyurea grease. If you mix these I have seen them seperate from each other leaving holes in the protection.

I knew a lot more about greases when I use to work on the commercial and industrial side of the business, but that has been a long time ago. There are so many different types of greases on the industrial side, where on the automotive side there's maybe 3 or 4 and that's it.

If you want to use just one grease for all applications on your vehicle, then the 707L is a great product to do it with. Although I personally believe the TTM302 does a better job on ball joints and u-joints. I would not use either on CV joints and if you need this information I can get it for you.

Johnny,

the information you have provided has been most helpful. Thanks very much!

I would try to flush as much of the SHC 460 out as possible, but some mixing won't hurt. My question is, why do you want to stop using SHC 460? That is an excellent grease.

I don't know?? Someone I worked with started spewing how great the 707l is, I thought it was better?? Guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back