How to lube electric motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Weinman pump made in Columbus Ohio.
It is 1 1/2 HP 230V, Mdl 5ACK158.. It has a grease nipple on one end of motor case and a screw at the top on the other end of motor case in line with the grease nipple. How often should I grease it? And do I oil the screw end or take the screw out and put a nipple in and grease that end too?

The "screw at the top on the other end" may be for oiling, not greasing. It's important not to over grease or over oil motors. Excess lubricant can soften armature insulation, resulting in the motor shorting out. I would only lightly grease it annually or less often depending upon use. Grease it, remove the nipple, and run the motor a while to allow excess grease to escape. If the other screw is for oiling, use an ISO 32 (SAE 10) turbine oil. Good to have a zoom spout oiler, available at ACE Hardware for $1.65, on hand.

Some maintenance programs have chosen not to lubricate any motors with less than 5hp.
They have found that the runtime hours of a non-lubrticated electric motor of that size is fairly consistant. Change-outs prior to predictive failure is found to be much more cost effective, than risking over-lubrication and unscheduled downtime on a regular basis.

Much depends on whether the motor/pump has ball bearings or bronze sleeve bearings.

Most ball bearing type motor over 1.25 Hp only have to be greased once a year and some are greased for life. In either case, seal inspection can often save bearings and downtime since if seals are broken, dirt intrusion can shorten life.

As previously suggested, sleeve bearings may require only occasional oiling. Usually, they have a a removable threaded screw which is removed to oil a wick. 10-20 weight non-detergent oil with low levels of AW and rust inhibition additives are all that's necessary.

Most electric motors require little grease,,,depending on use (in hours) 100 hrs of intermitt on/off one pump,,,continual use a bit more,,,,,,most motor manufactures have a spec on intervels,,,E-mail them or ask a moter rebuilding shop,,,,also the plug on some motors where usally a zerk is means it has sealed bearings,,,,,,,,,BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back