greasing door hinge pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is not of automotive nature, but of door hinge pins around the house. What do you guys use to lube a squeaking door hinge???

My house is about 9 months old. The builder put some type of graphite looking material in the hinges to keep them from squeaking. That did not work. Most of the doors squeak like crazy. I removed all the pins in the house and put some 30wt on them. Worked for a while.

Now I wiped some shaeffers #238 that I use in my trucks front chassiss on the pins. They are quiet now and swing freely in the hinges.

What do you guys use for a squeaking/squeeling door hinge??

I take mine apart, clean them, and use a waxy lube that looks like a fat crayon that I got from the hardware store some 20 years ago.... probably some type of NLGI 4 or 5. I did all the doors in my house when I moved in. Only one door started barely squeaking after 10 years, so doing it every 10 years isn't bad.

I also use this lube on the door striker points of my fleet. They won't mess up your clothes as badly as a grease or liquid should you inadvertently brush against it.

leftover whatever dino from a previous oil change...

no, not used, the leftover new oil when your car wants 4.7qt and you have to buy 5qt. The extra goes into a jug. Where when it gets to be enough for an oil change in the car or whatever needs it, until then i may borrow a bit for the handy pump oiler.

Any decent light colored grease should work fine - a waxy dry lube preferred. I like the PB Blaster track and guide lube, but I have even used vaseline (works fine) and olive oil in a pinch (summer house no lube stash)...might go rancid...
smile.gif

I've also tried the graphite lube on the door hinges. That didn't work out as expected.
Tried some Western Auto brand petroleum grease a couple years back. Haven't heard a single squeak out of the door hinges yet.

quote:

This question is not of automotive nature, but of door hinge pins around the house. What do you guys use to lube a squeaking door hinge???

For the heavy steel doors to my gun closet, etc., I use MTL-R, and for all other light wooden door hinges I use Schaeffer's Penetro90.

Wipe off all excess lubricant since both will stain clothing.

[ June 04, 2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back