Running 0w30 instead of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5.7 Dodge with MDS system that requires 5w20. Have used the 0w20 before, but remembered someone on here talking about the 0w30 is pretty close to a 5w20 and thinking the slightly thicker oil may help with the infamous Hemi tick and yield a little more protection longterm.
Curious as to thoughts.

My 2003 Pontiac Vibe specifies 5W-30, both in the manual & on the fill cap. But I run 0W-30 & have FANTASTIC MPG of 42 on the Hwy. & no problems in the 4+ years I've owned it. And I run it HARD, no babying it.

Last edited:
OK< U have a nice truck, IMHO on that ride,,,i would use what dodge says to use. My friends van calls for 5w20, on his ford van,,300k miles and it has the famous ford tick and all is well, 18mpg hwy. thicker is not always better, there a many threads on that subject.

Use the 0w-30. Heck, use anything. It's not like Chrysler knows anything about good engineering.

Oh snap!

Originally Posted By: JRed
Use the 0w-30. Heck, use anything. It's not like Chrysler knows anything about good engineering.

+1 arent they currently back to 10w30?

Yeah, remember that viscosity values fall into a range of actual measured values. Thinner side is likely OK, but unless there is a viscosity/temp chart that allows use of 5w-30 in some situations, Id avoid 5w-30 if you are still in warranty.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
In most if not all situations it is best to do what the manufacturer requires. ALot less stress in life that way.

smile.gif
+1

Having agreed to that, I run M1 0W30 in my mom's 09 Matrix which calls for 5w20 and never hand an issue in 7-8k miles she has on it.

I have the same engine in my truck. It is my understanding that running a heavier oil than 5w-20 will effect the operation of the MDS. How I do not know but I have read this quite a few times. If you are still in warranty I would be very careful.
Personally, I am sticking with the 5-20.

Good Luck, Dave

I doubt that the engine would know the difference between 5W-20 and M1 0W-30.
Still, you have to wonder why?
The OP could try the 0W-30 AFE, and determine whether the tick goes away.
If it doesn't, then it is just something he will have to tolerate, like the piston slap that is endemic to some engine families.
Doesn't really shorten engine life.
It's just irritating.
Incidentally, do you actually have a Citabria, or have you flown one?
I haven't, nor have I touched any other taildragger, nor have I ever done anything aerobatic (Citabria spelled backwards?).

Last edited:
Fluid specs are just that,,,, specs.....

Redline 5W20 cST@100 = 8.58

Mobil 1 0W30 = 10.2

O'Reily Syn brand 5W20 = 9.9 and 5W30 = 11.0

Were not talking huge differences. If a fluid is close to 5W20 specs....go for it.

Although, I would use Redline 5W20 in that engine
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Fluid specs are just that,,,, specs.....

Redline 5W20 cST@100 = 8.58

Mobil 1 0W30 = 10.2

O'Reily Syn brand 5W20 = 9.9 and 5W30 = 11.0

Were not talking huge differences. If a fluid is close to 5W20 specs....go for it.

Although, I would use Redline 5W20 in that engine
smile.gif

Quoting the KV100 spec's (and btw they are all wrong) while ignoring the much more relevant HTHS vis' couldn't be more misleading.

Companies such as Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc that specify a 20wt oil are specifying an oil with a HTHS vis of 2.6cP.

RL 5W-20 is a very unique oil with a HTHS vis of 3.3cP which means it is actually heavier than most 30wt's.

M1 0W-30 has a HTHS vis' of 3.06cP which is fairly light for a 30wt but is still much heavier than any typical 5W-20 oil at all temp's above -20C.

The OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back