Penetrating Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDP

I have need for a penetrating grease for a few areas on lawn equipment that are exposed to dust but need a tad more than an oil for lubrication and rust prevention. Springs, adjusters and their shafts on the mower deck are an example. How about mixing a good quality grease with a solvent like mineral spirits to make a thin liquid that will soak into the area to be lubed. The mix can be sprayed on and left for a time to give the carrier a chance to evaparate leaving grease in areas that normally will not receive a heavy duty lube. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
WDP

Maxima makes a chain lubricant that is called "Chain Wax" it sprays on liquid and penetrates then dries to a waxy coating. it stinks but it works well as a chain lube and might be what you are looking for. the local motorcycle dealer should carry it.

The best more or less permanent lubricant i have ever heard of is some stuff called Lubrisilk. they make a highly tenacious #2 grease, #3 grease, and a variety of oils and aerosols. they form a boric acid covalent bond to the metal surface, so you might only need one application or so a year. phenominal stuff. do a web search for Boron CLS Bond, or get it from like i do. trust me this stuff is amazing. -k

[ June 18, 2005, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: wwillson ]

Why reinvent the wheel.

Amsoil Spray Grease, Heavy Duty Metal Protector, 5th wheel spray grease and regular Metal Protector will do the job in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back