nickel vs copper antiseize

Status
Not open for further replies.
The temps.- copper is not rated as high of a temp.
I would just buy the nickel & use it for all your anti-sieze needs unless the application is of a very specific nature.
cheers.gif

copper 30% by weight with a 70% petroleum carrier is the spec products have to meet for underground high voltage conduit systems in our state. different earth and minerals and the electrolysis effect of the power feeders make it a somewhat corosive enviroment I'd think. Having dug up old systems and unscrewed the threaded fittings (easily)it must do its job. At home I just have some moly based stuff, only because I bought a jar along time ago and its lasting forever.

We use a nickel based paste on all our turbine fuel nozzles, for Rolls-Royce-Allison AE3007 A1 turbines.
The A&P mechanics' slang for it is "nickel-seize"

The GE power units, CT7-5A and CT7-9B use something from Castrol which looks graphite-based to me.

Lance,
same on our (GE derivative) steam turbines etc.

The copper (along with the lower melting point metals like zinc, lead, tin etc..also used in paint markers) can get sucked into the metal, and cause cracking at high temperatures.

On Stainless Steel parts use the Nickel Anti-seize, the copper can cause problems at elevated temps. Hydrogen embrittlement is the most typical problem. The nickel also prevents the stainless from galling itself together.

Copper is more of a general purpose product, useful on electric conductors, better than that is Graphite...

I doubt that it's hydrogen embrittlement but rather liquid metal embrittlement at elevated temperatures. Both fractures look the same to the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back