First oil change for my new car.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

I have a new 2011 Toyota Camry LE (I4) and it currently has 850 miles on it. In the past, I have always changed the factory oil at 1000 miles. I just picked up a couple cases of Castrol Edge 0W20, and I am ready to give my Camry it's first oil change.

Is there any downside to draining the factory oil earlier than Toyota suggests? I have heard factory oil contains higher amounts of Moly. I don't know for sure though....

My primary reason for changing it at 1000 miles is to get any metal debris that may be floating around from the engine break-in period. Right or wrong...that is what I have been doing for many years. It has always seemed like a good idea to me.

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
run it for 2k then the next 3k then go to regular changes. No reason to dump it at 1k, it contains special additives to aid the break in process.

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
Is there any downside to draining the factory oil earlier than Toyota suggests?

The only real downside is wasting perfectly good oil. I would run the factory fill the full Toyota-suggested interval and then start using the EDGE you bought. Also make sure to use a good filter.

I understand that toyota does not want you to change the oil out early and some dealers wont do it even if you ask, i dont know why... Maybe there is something in the oil different from the factory... I dont know what i do know is that we see a lot of toyota engines in here for rebuilds with under 100,000 miles and that was unheard of 10 years ago

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
Is there any downside to draining the factory oil earlier than Toyota suggests?

The only real downside is wasting perfectly good oil. I would run the factory fill the full Toyota-suggested interval and then start using the EDGE you bought. Also make sure to use a good filter.

Thanks for your feedback...I will be using Toyota OEM (Denso) oil filters.

While I'll disagree that the factory fill has anything special (maybe assembly lube that came off the parts) I'd hold off on the changing it till you have 2-3k on it.

I'd personally do the next OCI a little shorter than the recommended then go into full OCIs.

Enjoy the new ride!

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

If you want to change it ,change it . No harm will be done. The "special" additives if any are for the initial running of the engine. I also heard that running any thing other than 5w-20 will ruin a Ford mod motor from the internet experts but lo and behold Ford has recommeded running a 10w-40 oil for a noise issue in some of those engines.

I also like changing oil at around 1k miles for synthetic. Factory filled does contain some assembly lube, but other than that I don't think it's *special*

If anything you'd be doing your car a favor by changing it to synthetic.

I did change my mom's 09 Matrix at 1k miles last year without any problems. Oil was relatively clean. I wound't go over 3k miles on factory filled.

After a first change at 1k I would also do a change at 5-6k miles.

Make sure to watch your oil level after you switch to synthetic.

On a NEW vehicle I think it's really unnecessary to do such an early change. I left the FF in my Ranger for about 6000km, severe service rec. is 8000km. And I LIKE changing oil
smile.gif

On a rebuilt, like I had in my old car I changed it at something like 100km, 500, 1000, then normal intervals.

Won't hurt anything to change it every 50 miles if you want but I really don't think it's helping either.

Change it! I never leave the original oil past the 1K mark, lots of micro eng debris floating around and in the filter
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Change it! I never leave the original oil past the 1K mark, lots of micro eng debris floating around and in the filter
thumbsup2.gif

+1!!
thumbsup2.gif

If Toyota is using a special break in oil it is news to me. They never have before to my knowledge( but I don't know everything of course ). Honda has done it but I never heard of Toyota? I always change the FF early( by 1000 ). Lots of break in particles in the oil.

rather if the term "break in oil" is used or not, it is what it is, and has particles from the "break in"!
thumbsup2.gif

i would go by the manufacture suggested oci. some do use break-in oils with high levels of ZDDP. others just break it in before the it leaves the factory. if all else fails follow the directions.

but im with ya i always changed the oil in engines i rebuilt at 500 miles.

+1 electrover. I change out at the first Severe service interval recommended by the manufacture. There are assembly lubes and or additives that get into the oil during the first few thousand miles that contribute to a proper break-in and scuffing protection. Too early changes can be detrimental to long engine like. You can't go wrong following the facory manual but, you can go wrong following self-appointed-experts. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 electrover. I change out at the first Severe service interval recommended by the manufacture. There are assembly lubes and or additives that get into the oil during the first few thousand miles that contribute to a proper break-in and scuffing protection. Too early changes can be detrimental to long engine like. You can't go wrong following the facory manual but, you can go wrong following self-appointed-experts. Ed

Have you ever built/rebuilt an engine? Just curious as to your personal experience/knowledge base. I am also curious to know what you base saying it is detrimental to the long life of an engine to swap out FF early on? Please educate me.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Eddie

Have you ever built/rebuilt an engine? Just curious as to your personal experience/knowledge base. I am also curious to know what you base saying it is detrimental to the long life of an engine to swap out FF early on? Please educate me.

I agree. I've changed out my engines from 800-1500 miles over the decades in many brands and never an issue with the engines over the hundreds of thousands of miles that they have gone.

Oil is oil. I've even changed out Hondas early and no problems.

Bill

I doubt whether an owner changes the FF oil after 1,000 miles or 5,000 miles is going to have any affect on the longevity of the engine. As many document here many engines see horrible oil change intervals and conditions and last longer than they should.

Do what makes sense to you and sleep well at night. Not worth worrying about too much IMHO.

Enjoy your new car.

Last edited:
Bill. To answer your question. Yes I have rebuilt many engines but, never one of my own in which I followed the manufactures recommendation on oil & filter changes. I have rebuilt many Porsche racing and street engines and was a member of the Porsche racing team in Northern ILL. in addition I have re- manufactured engines and not just put new parts in many American I6s and V8s where we reground cranks and lined bored main bearings and cam bores. I do have some experience. My comments are based on some experience. Filters are there to keep the damaging size bits from doing any harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back