In the old days: No antifreeze problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Peak Long Life is another Dex-Cool clone. Read the back of the bottle. It has 2-EHA listed.

then why would they bother making peak global? it really is dex-cool. just so i have it right all universal coolants are dex-cool whether they are yellow or green makes no difference?
i dont think just because they have a common ingredient makes them the same. they all have water...so what does that mean?

Peak Global is a universal OAT coolant but not a dexclone. It is a benzoate inhibitor coolant. It does not contain 2-EHA the hallmark of Dexcool.

I was wrong, Peak does not list the ingredients on the bottle. MSDS does say that LL is silicate and phosphate free, so it is a pure OAT, akin to Dexcool.
General consensus on BITOG was that Peak LL had 2-EHA, unlike their Global formula.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=815073&fpart=1
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1373636&fpart=2
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1536992&page=2

Old World industries is very secretive about their formulations. How did you find out it was benzoate and not 2-EHA in Peak LL?

Yes I agree with all that, Old World Industiries is secretive about their formulations and Peak LL is mostly likely Dexclone with 2-EHA. Your last sentence confused me since I believe PEAK LL being a dexclone does contain 2EHA. Did you mean how did I find out Peak Global is benzoate and not 2EHA. Peak Global is advertised as a non 2EHA OAT formula and benzoate is a listed ingredient.

electrolover,

You might want to spend some time reading up on coolants in this sub-forum. Almost all "universal" coolants sold today are what we refer to as "Dex-Clones", and they come in all different colors.

Originally Posted By: cos
electrolover,

You might want to spend some time reading up on coolants in this sub-forum. Almost all "universal" coolants sold today are what we refer to as "Dex-Clones", and they come in all different colors.
ugh,,,cant one just call the manufacture of each coolant,,its a thought,,no archair coolology,,,just call the guys that make the stuff,,,,,,I mix and match whatevers on sale,,not a biggie to me..I have never lost an engine over coolant, the only thing I ve lost is a cheap plactic radiator split open,,seams came loose,,thats it.

Plenty people here have called the manufacturers and posted the information. Not that the coolant manufacturers tell you anything that useful, "Ah yes are antifreeze works in every make and can be mixed with any anti-freeze and still give full protection..everything else is proprietary". There's better places to get information like auto manufacturers, trade journals, SAE and ASTM. I was just thinking we had motor oil manufacturer Q&A's. An antifreeze manufacturer Q&A would be good.

I am following you now. We are on the same page. I answered a question about Peak LL, electrolover brought up Peak Global, and your answer pertained to Peak Global.

Not all manufacturers answer. Old World Industries, for one (maker of Peak and many in-house brands), gives out very little info.

Just to clear up some confusion on this post' Peak Global LIFETIME comes in a Gold jug with a black top it does not contain 2EHA. It has a proprietary ingredient and comes with a lifetime warranty. Long Life, Extended life, are all dexclones and readily available. Weather or not it is good as they say it is, who knows? If you are looking for a 2EHA free coolant and Peaks premium product, this is it.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
...my first car, a '68 camaro, had the original heater core that worked like brand new. I got that car in 1988. 20 year old heater core.

My old Dakota (see sig file) has the original heater core after 20 years.

John

Originally Posted By: cos
electrolover,

i have 70 bucks of it in two cars. i really dont want to waste the money. so until its time to change. im right and yall are wrong. but when its time im going to change over to mc gold
smile.gif

until then ill fight it alll the way to keep from freaking out and draining all that new coolant on the ground!!
happy2.gif
im not runnig dex-cool in my fords
happy2.gif
happy2.gif
lalalalala

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: j_mac
...my first car, a '68 camaro, had the original heater core that worked like brand new. I got that car in 1988. 20 year old heater core.

Probably the exception to the rule though...

No, I think it was the rule prior to the 80s. My '73 Satellite (437,000 miles) still has its original heater core. So does the '69 R/T in my .sig. The '66 in my .sig got a new one because I found a NOS heater core at a swap meet and installed it when I was working on the HVAC air-box ( a huge task) for other reasons... the original core is in my attic as a spare and was working perfectly when removed.

Back then, heater cores were made of brass alloy, as were radiators. They lasted FAR longer than the aluminum cores that became popular starting in the 80s. With one caveat- you did have to change coolant every 2-3 years or else the silicates would start to precipitate and shorten water pump life.

I think today's cars will probably be back to having fewer cooling system problems than the 80s/90s, BECAUSE the new coolants work better with the new materials in heater cores and engines. GM has gaskets that work with DexCool now. G-05 has never had a problem with anything. The Asian (P-OAT) coolants seem great. Also I think most of the new systems and coolant chemistries will probably tolerate neglect even better than the pre-80s systems did. The only *real* issues we've had in recent years are DexCool and DexClone products used in engines that had incompatible materials or open-reservoir cooling systems.

Despite repeated claims on boards like this, I have never seen concrete evidence that Peak LL contains 2-EHA. Similarly I have not seen any concrete evidence that Peak Global contains benzoate. Old World Industries advertises that Peak Global contains no 2-EHA (and no silicates or phosphates) but they are silent otherwise. Similary, they advertise that Peak LL contains no silicates or phosphates, but they are silent otherwise. Does this mean that Peak LL contains 2-EHA? Maybe. But Old World Industry could be bottling the same coolant as Peak Global and Peak LL and simply marketing the two products differently. I would love to see more concrete information on the composition of Peak branded coolants, but secrecy and obfuscation are the rule in the coolant industry and Old World Industries is among the most secretive coolant companies.

Why buy Peak Global? I honestly don't know. For cars with Asian P-OAT OEM coolant, buy the OEM coolant (at a high price) or Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant. Both contain phosphates (along with extended life OAT additives) which the Asian car makers believe is a good thing; Peak Global contains no phosphates. For cars equipped with G-05, buy Zerex G-05 or Ford Motorcraft Premium Gold Coolant. G-05 contains some silicates which some European manufacturers still believe is a good thing. Peak Global contains no silicates. Peak Global does not appear to exactly match the chemistry of any OEM coolant and most auto manufacturers do not accept Old World's claim that Peak Global (or LL) is universal.

For the record, I dislike old silicate laden North American green coolant; it chews up water pump seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back