Grease for Toyota 4x4 - did I mess up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A parts guy said all I needed for my '90 Toyota 4X4 propeller shaft was Multi-Purpose Mystic-JT6, NLGI #2. I used this everywhere (pre-BITOG days) but I found a grease chart today in an owners manual for my model. OOOPS! I don't see "lithium" or "molybdenum" anywhere on the Mystic-JT6 tube I used.

(1) Front drive shaft thrust bearings and double cardan joints: MOLYBDENUM-DISULFIDE LITHIUM base chassis grease, NLGI #2.

(2) Spiders and Slide yokes: LITHIUM BASE chassis grease, NLGI #2.

Did I mess up and if so what now? Also, who's Lithium base wheel bearing grease is good and what grease for the steering ball joints?

I owned a 85 Toyota 4x4,ran the heck out if it ,till it rusted apart,242,000 miles ran much better than my Nisson 4x4,,,the only grease I used was Mystik, high temp lithium complex,red tube,,,,in Wis with very cold temps,,,I never changed a u-joint,tie rod end ,or any thing,,still tight,,,if I were you,purge out the JT-6 ,green tube,, not very compatible with lithium,and try SX-6 semi-synth. ,which is blue in color,,easyly one of the best lithium complex grease,,,,,,or try Schaeffers 274#2 it has moly,which is really good,,,,,,BL

Thanks brian fix,
that's both good and maybe bad news.

JT-6 has a Anhydrous Calcium thickener. Is this a Calcium Hydroxy type grease? If so then it is compatible with a Lithium grease. If not... then "purging it out" is not a process I'm familiar with. Sounds like I keep pumping grease until it pushes the "wrong" grease out. Purging the slider yokes should be fun.

Yes, the CITGO site showed SX-6 is a lithium base and probably a better choice. Still need a Moly-Lithium grease. I should contact Schaeffer's Oil.

though with my experence, you may not need molly,,if so contact the Schaeffer dealer on this web,under site sponsers use the 274#2 it will never let you down,,,,BL

Schaeffer looks very good from everything I read, and maybe I should call them for advice before I buy something else. Probably when I replace my spiders and cardans this summer I'll start fresh with Schaeffers. Their Aluminum base and it's limited compatabilty with what MAY be the wrong Calcium base in the Mystic green label I used makes me hesitate. Still trying to find out for sure.

Otherwise, locally available, I might use Valvoline's Synthetic or Dura-blend for the Moly and Mystic JT-6 Hi Temp "red" label for the straight Lithium base. Thanks for alerting me to the "red" label Mystic. It looks very good.Can't find the SX-6.

[ March 22, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back