2010 Dodge Charger 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

Co-worker had his oil changed last night at the dealer and he was asking me about it this morning. Got charged extra because his car uses "special" oil!! It's a 3.5 and the bill says they used 6 1L bottles of 10w30. I tell him I'm surprised that they put 10w30 in it, that Chrysler has gone the 5w20 route so I look up his manual, sure enough calls for 10w30 in all in all operating temperatures. I find the fact that they up-charged him because they only have 10w30 in bottles and not in bulk is a crock but to use the excuse that it is special....
lol.gif

Anybody know why? With not even a consideration for a 5w let alone a 0w?

cp3,

I'm surprised to hear that too! My 01' Durango V-8 take 5W-30 and wanted to start using a 20W oil to save a few more pennies and was told it's not a good move at all. Even Chryslers large displacement Chargers takes a 5W-20 to save gas so [censored]????

Anyway in your case being it's a V-6 engine it has a large oil sump ( 6 quesrts ) so that's good for your co-worker.

Special oil???? It has to be a synthetic and it has to be the reason to which Chrysler gains some MPG in that way.

Durango

When i worked at a WM TLE in 2007. we had 5W-30 and 10W-30 in big bulk tanks, and 5W-20 was brought in in smaller drums.

We constantly ran out of 5W-20, went through 5W-30 at a predictable rate, and the 10W-30 hardly ever got used. It took over 2 years to drain the full 10W-30 bulk tank.

Just as i left, they changed it over: 5W-20 in one of the big bulk tanks, and 10W-30 brought in by drums - even then, it never got used much.

Very, very few engines (maybe no new ones now) actually spec. 10W-30, so it's become a 'specialty' oil!

LOL! Sure! If runnign 10W30 makes the owner feels extra "special".

I wouldn't upset/challenge the owner. Afterall: it's his mullah and his car..

Q.

I think the 3.5/4.0 SOHC v6 engines have always recommended 10w-30.

The 2011 Charger has the new Pentastar v6, which IIRC is 5w-20.

I was at a Chyrsler dealership yesterday getting a part. When I was standing at the parts window noticed "Sureguard" brand 10w30 under the counter. 12 in a case.

No, no challenge or anything. He's already upset at the difference from the advertised price....lol Just wanted to make sure they were using the right thing, which apparently they are. Only posted out of curiosity as to why.

My biggest recomendation would be to bring in PYB!

Yeah, for some reason, Chrysler is insistent on 10W-30 in the 3.5/4.0L V-6 engines. I'm not sure why. My opinion is they're probably old engine designs that shear oil, and the engine might need the viscosity stability of 10W-30.

Most every other engine in Chrysler's arsenal uses a 5W- oil of some kind, either 5W-30 or (more commonly) 5W-20. As stated the Pentastar uses 5W-20 in all applications that I'm aware of. I think the 3.5/4.0L will be the last of the 10W-30 club.

Tell him to use Rotella T5 in that bad boy... then he will be using a 'special' oil
grin2.gif

I have been running 10w30 as per the manual in my charger since purchased new in 2009. It's the 3.5L V6. In the last 17,000 mi / year of driving it consumed 1.5 Quarts of Oil. I just posted the UOA in the appropriate forum if you're interested.

The price difference is likely because the service center does not stock 10w-30 in bulk, and had to order it in quarts from the parts store.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The price difference is likely because the service center does not stock 10w-30 in bulk, and had to order it in quarts from the parts store.

Agreed no 10W-30 in bulk so individual qts were used.

Last edited:
Maybe Chrysler found out that 20wt oil is not the best for long term reliability. [censored] to charge extra over the advertised price and at a dealer no less. I would have discussed that before paying and if they didn't cover it, I would tell them no more service there. On the plus side you most probably got a better quality oi.

I dunno if it's worth your while or not coming from Ontario, but last time I was there the big Chrysler dealership on "Transit Rd., Williamsville, NY" does oil changes using Pennzoil Platinum (except for the 5W-40 weight which is extra)for about the same price as conventional most other places.

The 3.5L has always been 10W30. When DC did the testing for the transition to 5W20 they had issues with that engine. Ford had similar issues with the 4.0 SOHC in the Ranger and Explorer.

Years before 5W20 Chrysler had shearing issues with the early 5W30 so moved back to 10W30 as the standard recommendation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back