Valvoline Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Moly fortified ep lithium base grease that claims to be able to lubricate from -60 to 425 deg.

Opinons on this? I picked up a tube last night and regreased my daughters bicycle wheel innards with it. It seems to work better as it was a bit stiff with the greenish blue goop that was in there.

I plan on using this for repacking wheel bearings and various other automotive and general uses.

The reason I ask is that with a search of the forum, every discussion seems to be immediately bumped to Schaffers products. The only problem I have with that, is I can't buy them locally, and prices are hard to come by.

Whadda think of the Valvoline? Are Exxon's products better?

Valvoline's ok. However, for automotive disc brake wheel bearings, a better choice in the Valvoline brand is the GM spec EP Lith Complex. As per George Morrison and other experts in the field, I don't use grease containing Moly in either wheel bearings or universal joints.

Anyone have more info on this? Long before I knew this site existed I bought a tube and a can of this stuff and have been using it ever since for wheel bearings and all the geasables on my car. No problems sofar but I am sure there is better. Anyone care to comment further on the suitability for wheelbearings. They are due for a repack and if lithium would be better I will switch.

quote:

As per George Morrison and other experts in the field, I don't use grease containing Moly in either wheel bearings or universal joints.

And I don't use any grease NOT containing moly for wheel bearings and U-joints.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

As per George Morrison and other experts in the field, I don't use grease containing Moly in either wheel bearings or universal joints.

And I don't use any grease NOT containing moly for wheel bearings and U-joints.

This is confusing. A couple of years ago I stopped buying any grease without Moly as some of my grease fittings specified it while others didn't.

Is there any harm in using MoD2 in U Joints? I was panicking until I saw your post as there are alot of U-joints in my gargage with heavy moly content.

Personally I grease mine often since water and sand contamination is my enemy. So brand doesn't matter (I usually use Coastal since I go through a tube every 6 months on my truck)

I also always use a moly fortified grease in my uni's, it's my general chassis lube.
Ball joints, tie rod ends, king pins and splines respond well to it, as do universal joints.

Look at Redline CV2, a pretty brilliant wheel bearing/chassis grease that contains moly.
I've never heard anyone bag it out.
wink.gif

I put something like 450 000km on my old F100 (F150 over there) before retiring it, it already had 200000+km on it when I bought it, and it looked like the unis were original, as were all the tie rod ends and king pins, and I never had to replace any chassis component for wear (and we have yearly registration inspections here, and they are pretty thorough) and all I ever used was a Li complex, 3-5% moly fortified grease (Castrol LMM)
This vehicle was worked hard daily, including regularly towing a race car. ( I cracked the 9" rear axle tubes numerous times. I may be a little 'tough' on equipment now and then
grin.gif
)

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back