Automotive wheel bearing COLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searched the site a bit. Still need advice on type & suppliers of a wheel bearing grease for temperature ranges -40C Winter to +~~22C in summer Hopefully nothing to esoteric that I have to import from USA
canada.gif

Check CT or places where they service Skidoos and such. They should have EP bearing grease suitable for low temperature use (usually Lithium-based EP-2 based I believe).

Normally, I would just resort to using regular EP grease suitable for ball/roller bearing use (not kingpins) that are lithium-based. My focus has always been the film and EP additives you know.

Mystik makes a semi-synthic grease called JT-6 I belive,,it is a lithium complex,,,works from -56 to 356 deg,F,, or Amsoil is a really great grease in the general purpose,,,or Schaeffers 274 in #2 grade witch offers better water washout propertys,personally I would go with Mystik JT-6,its blue in color,,very fine product...BL

Mobil makes a good synthetic wheel bearing grease that is commonly available at auto supply places. Our company uses it on truck trailer hub unit bearings we sell that are marketed to last a million miles without service. You could also try your local bearing supply house.

When I was a young tech Toyota used Krytox in it's CV joints. We used to have tubes of it for rebuilds! IT is expensive stuff though! It should be readily available though as various Krytox greases and oil are used in everyting from electronics-Aviation! I think Dubont made it but I can not remember for sure! I have always used Moly EP grease and never had an issue in Michigan, Germany or Georgia! I have to aske what type of testing are you doing that normal greases are falling? I ask becasue we see -20°F temps. in Michaigan and I have never had a bearing fail?

Vstrom no kidding!! This site is the only place I have ran into anyone that knew what Krytox was!!! When we had to rebuild a CV joint we had prepackaged tubes of Krytox that went along with the rebuild parts. You cut the end off the tube and that is what you used to lube all the parts!! The name "Krytox" was on the tube in the service bulletin with the instruction s with the parts etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back