Is Mobil 1 syn grease moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tacoma requires moly grease for the slide yoke and double cardan joint.
Will Mobil 1 synthetic grease meet this requirement?
Molybdenum Disulfide is not listed as an ingredient.
I have a tube of it already and will use it for the spiders.

Rick, I don't believe that the Mobil 1 grease is a moly, but not sure. Have been using the #2 HD moly grease from Amsoil (product code GHD) for several years on chassis components with really good results. Plus it is very reasonably priced at $3-5 a tube depending on where and how you get it. I believe the Amsoil site sponsors could give you more info. I buy mine from a local NAPA store.

I had a Toy. (85) that specs. moly,, all I ever used was Mystik J-T8 high temp, had lots of miles on truck never changed anything on drive,,, if you want moly use Schaeffers 274/2 fantastic grease,, Amsoil makes a Heavy duty grease thats really great.BL

Re: Mobil syn with Moly. No. ExxonMobil does not currently manufacture a synthetic grease containing moly. In most cases where moly would be required, the cost of the synthetic oil does not merit. Moly is for sliding applications only which also means grease wastage/high use.. Not a case for synthetic.
However, ExxonMobil DOES make an incredible Calcium solfonate moly grease which is quite extraordinary..
This is one of those rare cases where the grease thickener actually functions with the base oil and provides synergistic results...
George Morrison, STLE CLS
AV Lubricants inc. www.avlube.com

Mobil does make a calcium sulfonate grease that is really good,however I would be carefull about mixing,if used make sure you purge out existing lube a number of times...BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back