Has anyone run a HDEO in a Vortec 454?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I have a 98 Chevy K3500 with the vortec 454. I currently run white bottle Valvoline 10W-30 in it but was thinking of trying a 10W-30 HDEO oil in it. Truck has 103,000 miles on it and does use a little oil and the engine is a little noisy. I bought it used three years ago with 94,600 miles on it so I don't know its prior service history.

Would there be any benefit to running a HDEO in this engine and would doing so ruin my Catalytic converter?

What brand would you recommend? Thanks.

Wayne

I run rotella 15w in my boat with twin 454s. I know their pre vortex and I think around 1993. They absolutely run perfect with the stuff. I definitely wouldn't worry about the cat.

No worries at all,cats will be fine,use some rotella 10w30HDEO from walmart good fit,you don't need a thick oil in that engine.

we have a '01 with the big block 8100 at work that tows hauls all on 10w30.

The main reason to use diesel oils in gas engines is to protect the old style flat tappit cams and lifters. The Vortec has a roller cam so those addatives are not needed in it.

The HDEO oil is a better oil than PCMO but I don't think it's necessary in your application.

The twin 1986 454s in our boat have Rotella 15W-40, and it works well.

I run 5W-40 Rotella syn in my Jeep. The big old American V8s don't mind a 40 rather than a 30, particularly if worked hard. HDEOs work nicely, although they aren't always necessary.

Thanks for the replies. I mainly use the truck for pulling and hauling and don't put many miles on it per year. This engine puts out a lot of heat and I figured a HDEO might hold up better in this engine. Are there any downsides to running this type of oil in this engine?

Wayne

A 15w40 may get you some lost mileage but besides that no harm or damage will come from it,use it with confidence!

10W-30 is as thick as I probably want to go because it doesn't get very good mileage to begin with. I will have to think about the 15W-40. Thanks again.

Wayne

On an engine like that, or any other big V8, oil viscosity will have a minimal (if even detectable) effect on mpg. It'll affect a small 4 cylinder far more.

I've noticed exactly zero.nada% difference in my gas mileage no matter what kind of oil I use.

I would think the 10-30 HDEO would work just fine for your 454 year round since the newer engines are designed for it. Providing they are in sound mechanical condition. Considering where you live. The 15-40 and possibly the 5-40 might be a little thick. In the summer I wouldn't worry about it. MO CAN get very cold.

I've got the 5-40 Rotella in a motor bigger than yours but much, much older and it spins over just fine at -5. I let my engine warm up before I put it in to gear though. Many don't and that is the secret to using a heavier oil if you want the extra protection once it is hot.

You may want to try the 5-40 T6 Rotella year round. Just let it warm up before you take off. Other than that the 10-30 will probably work just as well if the engine isn't worn out. You DID state it has some noise so I might try the 5-40 if it was me.

As for fuel mileage? There won't be any difference no matter what you use on an engine that big. Clipper oil only makes a difference on a sewing machine engine that has to rev to the stratosphere to make power. LOL. I'd bet that 454 never gets past 2500 rpm in normal use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not very worried about gas mileage as I know this engine is not noted for very good mileage. Of course, it lighter oils didn't get better gas mileage, why has most of the manufacturers gone to lighter oils?

A case in point. I use to have a 98 Grand Prix GT with the 3800 series II engine in it and it specified 10W-30. Last year I bought a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with the Supercharged Series II 3800 and it specifies 5W-30. There are no mechanical differences in the newer engine that would warrent a 5W-30.

When I bought this truck three years ago it didn't have any engine noise at all. I don't know what brand or vicosity it had in it. When I first changed the oil after buying it, I put in 5W-30 Havoline and that is when it first began having engine noise. I later changed to 5w-30 and 10W-30 Valvoline with no changes in engine noise. I have only put about 8,000 miles on it since I bought it and have not hauled anything that heavy. I'm wondering if it had a heavier weight oil in it when I first bought it.

I will probably try a 10W-30 HDEO or move up to a conventional 10W40 as was recommended to me by a mechanic.

Wayne

Lighter oils do make a mileage difference, but in a large displacement, low revving, inefficient gas engine, it's not a big enough difference relative to everything else to be noticed as much as in a high revving, small 4 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: wtd
10W-30 is as thick as I probably want to go because it doesn't get very good mileage to begin with. I will have to think about the 15W-40. Thanks again.

Wayne

Rotella T5 10W30 semi syn would be a great choice in your application. Price is right too. I use it in my Vortec 5.7. It's a 'thick' 30, and you get better cold flow vs a 15 W.

Thanks, I will try the Rotella T5 10W-30 at my next oil change. I also have a 98 chevy K1500 that I bought new that has the 5.7L Vortec in it. I may try it in that also. I currently still use a 5W-30 in it with no problems.

wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back