Impact grease application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a quality syn grease for my wood chipper. Max rpm is 950 on the disc wheel and extremely slow on the feed wheels. There are no water concerns just alot of impact.

Tony

Brian, I work in temps typically above 20 degrees. Do you think that would be a problem for the #238? Also, is #238 a bad application for wheel bearings?

Thanks,
Tony

the 238 would be fine in this application,however in automotive wheel bearings the Schaeffers 274 would be the choice

Brian, these are the two greases I'm debating over. I'm only going to use one grease, seems I'm better off with the #274. The #238 is better...but how much better?

Tony

thought I'd chime in here. Go with the 274 which has more syn. 274 has 3% moly vs. 238 =5% formulatd to meet Cat specs (which some think is overkill). 274 is also more versatile as 238 has larger particles and the risk of caking up is more with 238. Would not recommend 238 for wheel bearings rather 274 or 221.

I would agree with Sales rep, the 274 is a grease that can be used in your app.,,this grease is a al. complex and when you change to it be sure to ,flush out the old grease by pumping out untill you see old grease weeping from the seal,dont pop the seal if you can turn shaft by hand when pumping,,, run for a bit and reapply,same way,,, the 274 is a great choice,,,BL

I believe the bearings on the disc wheel and the feed wheels to be at best shielded...not sealed.
My intention is too run the machine and slowly pump and pump until all I see is the new grease. I think it's gray? As for the trailer wheels, I'll simply break them down and flush them clean.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back