Wix vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
All things being equal, would you prefer a Wix oil filter or a Mobil 1 filter? Normally I use Wix, but Advance Auto Parts was running a pretty good special on Mobil 1 oil and filters, so now I have both.

The vehicle in question is a 2005 Nissan Xterra (VQ40DE) and I will be running Mobil 1 0W-40.

Which would you choose, and why?

You'd be fine with either.. of course.
I'd do the mobil-1 just to be different.. but the price for one isn't any better quality than a wix.

IMO...the Mobi1 1 EP...is superior to the WIX.

Price being equal, I'd take M1. It's designed for extended OCI's. Generally runs about twice the cost of a Wix.

That said, only way I'd use one is in a oil/filter combo promo deal. Too expensive for me otherwise.

+1 what sayjac say'd
grin.gif

I always used M101's with my prior 10k OCI's, but they are just too pricy for my current plan. Just enjoy the WIX; I'm trying my very first.

The M1 filters way better than the Wix oil filter, but probably you could never tell the difference in 400,000 miles. The air filter and its seal is what is more important than the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: FourPointOh
All things being equal, would you prefer a Wix oil filter or a Mobil 1 filter?

Assuming that we're talking about the Mobil 1 M1-110 versus the WIX 51356, I think I'd pick the M1. If I'm not mistaken, the way the bypass is set up on the WIX, it'll have less filtering media than the M1. Also, I think the M1 uses synthetic media. With that said, depending on the length of your OCI, it really wouldn't make any practical difference. Both are very, very good filters.

I may be off here in this, but isn't there M1 filters and M1 EP filters? Is this the case? Because I seen an add saying you could upgrade a M1 filter to a M1 EP filter for 2 dollars more in one of the parts stores circular's recently, I think AAP, though I'm not positive. So are we talking about the M1 or M1 EP? I would think the Wix would be as good or better than a regular M1 filter and the M1 EP filter as good or better than a Wix. Forgive me if I'm wrong on this.

I just saw the one kind of Mobil filters. I didn't look too closely, though-the only way I'd ever buy one is part of a promo like this one.

5 quarts of M1 and an M1 filter for $32, if anyone is interested. I think the promotion is good for a few more weeks.

Here's an excerpt from M1's page about their oil filter media and its benefits...

The filter box says that Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters contain a synthetic fiber blend filter element. Are these related to the synthetic components found in Mobil 1 synthetic motor oils?

No. Most conventional oil filters use a filter medium that is made of cellulose – typically wood fiber – and polyester fibers. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters combines a mixture of synthetic micro fibers and natural fibers to produce the most efficient oil filter on the market. The synthetic components of Mobil 1 motor oil are chemically synthesized liquids.

The synthetic fibers in Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters yield the following key benefits:

A much more efficient filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter than conventional filter media.

Less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

A larger surface area to trap more contaminant particles, allowing the longer service intervals.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: FourPointOh
All things being equal, would you prefer a Wix oil filter or a Mobil 1 filter?

Assuming that we're talking about the Mobil 1 M1-110 versus the WIX 51356, I think I'd pick the M1. If I'm not mistaken, the way the bypass is set up on the WIX, it'll have less filtering media than the M1. Also, I think the M1 uses synthetic media. With that said, depending on the length of your OCI, it really wouldn't make any practical difference. Both are very, very good filters.

+10+ Couldn't have said it better. I Really like wix but for the cars coming out with "microscopic" filters such as the OE on Altima, You need as much media as you can get. WIX falls short for the reasons above. If I had a truck I would use a WIX in a heartbeat. They are great. M1 Greater.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Here's an excerpt from M1's page about their oil filter media and its benefits...

Less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

What's funny about that statement, and that most people don't realize, is that with a positive displacement oil pump all the oil going out of the pump must go through your engine. The only time that is not true is when the oil pump is in pressure relief ... and most of the time that doesn't happen except maybe on very cold days (thick oil) combined with high RPM use.

Quote:
Assuming that we're talking about the Mobil 1 M1-110 versus the WIX 51356, I think I'd pick the M1. If I'm not mistaken, the way the bypass is set up on the WIX, it'll have less filtering media than the M1...
Interestingly though, the M1 also uses thread end bypass. But, similar to Motorcraft/Mopar the bypass is attached and recessed inside the centertube. Doesn't take up the space for media like the Wix bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back