Wheel berring grease for pop up trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 1991 Colmen pop up trailer in fantastic shape. The wheel berrings need to be re greased. What is a good grease to use for this application? I have some Schaeffers 221 and 274, will these work? Also how do I go about doing this? I have never packed berrings myself? Thank you for the help!!!
smile.gif

As far as kind of grease, make sure it is a "wheel bearing" grease, of which the choise is yours. I dont see a big difference in quality between the major brands, especially for a "pop-up" camper which would probably be used seasonally, and doesnt carry heavy loads. Regular grease, for ball joints and chassis lubrication, etc. will not work for wheel bearings. It has to be wheel bearing grease.

As far as packing a bearing with grease, there are tools, mentioned by the other posters, which work great, but require an initial investement. If you just have two wheels to do on your "pop-up", and will do no more, you can load your bearings by hand with grease. This is a fun job. With clean hands just take a "golfball" size glob of grease in your left palm (if you are right-handed) and "rake" your bearing, bigger side down, onto the edge of the "glob", forcing grease into the inside of the bearing. Keep doing this until the grease is coming out the top of the bearing. Turn bearing slightly and repeat, until you go all the way around. Then glob grease over and all around the bearing. Keep it as clean as you can.

Kerosene works well, I use diesel fuel from our fuel tank, then after the bearings clean I flush it again in clean fuel to make sure. Here's a wheel bearing replacement PDF from Timkin.
Wheel bearing Replacement

I've never used the #274 but I wouldn't think twice about using the #221, It's probably one of the best greases I've used.

Hi Chris! Welcome to the Coleman tent trailer club! LOL

I've got a big '89 coleman and stay on top of the bearings. One thing to remember is those little tiny tires that are on the trailers spin about 3 to 1 compaired to your tow vehicle, so the bearings really get a workout. I"ve never had one die, but have seen many trailers on the side of the road with the entire wheel and hub gone from lack of maintance. Seen a few catch fire too from the heat of dry bearings.

Enjoy your trailer! We sure have.

Mark

July 4 campout.
 -

Thanks to everyone!!!!!

So before I repack them I want to be sure 221#2 and 274#2 will be safe to use. I could not find anywhere that they were a "berring" grease. I assume they are safe because you guys reccomend it. So your sure now? Man I'm parronoid!
grin.gif
Thanks!

#221 is a great wheel bearing grease. I've got it packed in my boat trailer's bearings right now. Good stuff and doesn’t wash out. I’m going out on a limb here, but I’d bet that if you completely cleaned your hubs and bearings, then packed them with 221 and sealed them with a bearing buddy, you’d probably never repack them again for the life of the tent trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back