anyone use Redline 10W 60 in BMW S54 instead TWS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
...If you bothered to look, you would of seen this: "Regardless, I happened to know for a fact that PTG uses Syntec 5w-50 in their M3 Racer."

So the question stands.

I'm not sure if there's actually a question, standing or otherwise. I saw AJ's post; he's said that before in other posts and I believe him. But let's put it in context: PTG is a privateer that used to run BMW's in North America under a contract with BMW. Very successful organization.

As a privateer, they're free to run any oil they want, so long as they get results. Presumably they ran Castrol Syntec for a reason and it worked for them.

Nonetheless, BMW Motorsport's spec sheet for the E46 M3 GTR with the 4 liter V8 (not the S65 derivative, the previous one that sold as a limited edition) specifically listed TWS as the engine oil. So does the spec sheet for the (factory-sealed) Formula BMW engine. The parts catalogs for BMW Motorsport race cars - M3 GT4, Z4 GTR, etc. - all list TWS as the engine oil, just like they list Castrol SRF as the brake fluid.

Doug Hillary has more recent experience of who ran what oil in which car at the 2010 24 Hr enduro at the Nurburgring, but TWS was a contender there, as I remember his report. Perhaps he'll come by this thread and add some color.

I think the point is simply that the fact that something is used in a race car isn't a sufficient reason to use it in a street car.

It's a bonus for sure, though.

Originally Posted By: VegasKyle
S54 powered e36/8 M coupe. That is one fantastic automobile right there. Sorry I have nothing of value to add to your thread, just admiration for one of the best cars BMW has ever made.

It is a pleasure to drive and with HIGH performance/LOW production numbers, one of the most likely BMW cars to become "collectable" in the future. There were less than 400 sold in North America in 2002.

Last edited:
This race car, and it seems only this one, is brought up because there are some who don't like the fact that some of us recommend using mfg approved oil. Never see any race engines mentioned when someone asks what oil to use in his 2003 Monte Carlo or Mustang GT......

The link I provided shows that very thing. So the question *still* stands. What does a custom built race engine have to do with a mass produced street engine.

Don't really expect an answer though. Have yet to meet any car owner who changes his engine every 25 hours or so.

Hi,
jaj - This year at the Nurburgring TWS and Castrol's 10W-60 were used by many - including most BMWs

A number of BMWs (some prototypes) were using 0W-20 "race" lubricant provided by FUCHS and Castrol. The FUCHS lubricants were packaged "off the shelf" products. I spent time with the BMW Develoopemnt Engineers and the Lubricant Engineers involved!

And yes both BMW and Porsche use the "off the shelf" products as mentioned earlier. So do Aston Martin whose developement Engineers (German and based at Nurburg) I spent time with!

It amazes me just how many people think they know more than the Engineers who develop these products

No doubt compromises may be made and "fine tuning" your lubricant selection for a specific application is of course possible - by those with enough expertise and knowledge to do so!! Good on them!!!

For the average person such "fine tuning" can indeed be fraught with undesirable consequences. I have been involved with many of these instances since the Mini and 20W-50 viscosity lubricants (Duckhams) were introduced in 1959!

As many race Engineers have said to me over the years at the Nurburgring "the viscosity is the most important thing - there are no "bad" lubricants - our biggest tasks are the Electronic data issues not lubricant selection"

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

A number of BMWs (some prototypes) were using 0W-20 "race" lubricant provided by FUCHS and Castrol. The FUCHS lubricants were packaged "off the shelf" products. I spent time with the BMW Develoopemnt Engineers and the Lubricant Engineers involved!

And yes both BMW and Porsche use the "off the shelf" products as mentioned earlier. So do Aston Martin whose developement Engineers (German and based at Nurburg) I spent time with!

With BMW-Motorsport moving to forced induction why do you think they've moved away from the TWS? Is it just too heavy at cold starts to provide adequate lubrication to the turbo bearings?

Hi,
BMWTurboDzl - I think it is "horses for courses". TWS provides very good flow characteristic and it is easy to forget that BMW's List of lubricants has always covered lighter viscosities where applicable - even in their motorbikes!

There is no doubt that ACEA's lastest specifications and Test Protocols has enabled changes for many engine Manufacturers

IMO we can expect to see a number of changes to Approval Lists over the next several months - the VW Group's endorsement of Castrol's Professional ranges for WW Service Fill is but one. The rationalisation of product Lines is already underway

As well, it takes a long time form Design to Production even with CAD and etc. New and prototype engines from Euro Manufacturers are "everywhere" with many more to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back