Grease w/Krytox where to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
George,

Thanks for posting that. I had suspected as much also, but he had just asked where to get it, not if it was best for the application.
wink.gif
My first thought was that a full synthetic automotive grease with Mo would be the best bet.

I use Krytox to lube the O-rings that are in contact with the nitrous oxide in our hybrid liquid/solid rocket motors.

Ed

Thanks guys but it sure looks like a great additive for any application..

http://www.x-tronix.com/krytox.htm

and

DuPont Krytox® oil and grease products can exceed your most challenging needs, from the aggressive world of chemical processing, to the high temperatures in state-of-the-art automotive, paper corrugating, and textile applications, to the critical tolerances of aerospace military specifications. Krytox® oils and greases offer a unique combination of properties that extend the life of components, allowing manufacturers to extend warranties and manufacturing plants to reduce costly maintenance and downtime due to component failure.

* Performance -- When compared to other lubricants, only Krytox® oils and greases combine stability, high-temperature performance, nonflammability, and chemical inertness with outstanding lubrication under a variety of conditions.
* Environmental Safety -- Using DuPont Krytox® oils and greases eliminates the need for hydrocarbon lubricants and their potential environmental impact. They last longer, so less lubricant is needed. They are nontoxic and do not release volatile organic compounds to the atmosphere.
* Cost-effectiveness -- Krytox® performance lubricants are cost-effective across a broad range of applications because of their superior protection and useful life relative to traditional hydrocarbons. This allows equipment manufacturers to extend warranties and manufacturing plants to reduce costly maintenance due to component failure.

And the where to buy link provided id dead.
any others?

oh, and a google search reveals many different krytox greases...wonder which type would be best for bearings?

http://www.costenoble.de/seiten/krytoxE.html

General information

Krytox® oils are perfluoropolyethers that can be thickened to form a grease with PTFE powder. Krytox® was developed in the 1960s by DuPont together with the U.S. Airforce and later used to great success by NASA in the Apollo space missions. Krytox® was the first synthetic lubricant formulated with PTFE.
Krytox® has become a general-purpose product with a wide range of uses thanks to its extraordinary product characteristics and its ability to accept various additives. Krytox® lubricants can be divided into three basic groups. Along with the general-purpose lubricants or GPLs, special grades have been developed for use in aerospace and vacuum applications, which have particular requirements.
XHT grades specially formulated for use in high-temperature applications were launched last year.

Krytox is an excellent grease for those applications requiring such. An impellor for a jet ski is NOT such an application. The grease is for use in oxygen rich enviornments, high temps. Not, however, the best lubrication qualities compared with normal or synthetic greases..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Thanks a million Ed,

I see the #217 Krytox only comes loose in a jar, can I get that into a grease gun? I've always bought cartridges.

and I can't open the other link because I'm up at my camp connected @14kbps...I'm going to try the krytox no matter what.

doubleshock power, I tried the Krytox GPL-206 grease in a Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub with a coaster brake and after 4 months of hard riding the coaster brake is binding (the bike does weigh 75 pounds without my heavy 225 *** on it). The Lubriplate grease I was using usually went 10 months before binding and it is a non sythetic grease. mikeyolnutt

From what I understand it was developed for high vacuum applications.

The do make formulations for high temperature bearings which some racing buddies of mine use in constant velocity joints of their racecars. I don't know the part # but I do know that if it's kept clean it lasts indefinately. They reuse the grease adding small amounts to make up volume.

Large quantities in different applications I imagine, can be returned to DuPont to be purifed and/or recycled.

Loctite markets Krytox, it was actually a joint venture product between Dupont & Loctite. Buy it where you buy Loctite Threadlockers.
burnout.gif

I've only seen Krytox used on vacuum pumps and vacuum seals. Mainly because it doesn't react with gases like oxygen, and resists corrosive gases.

I can't comment on Krytox for auto or recreational use but the #227 allowed us to pass a 250k actuation cycling test of a manually actuated electronic display which previously failed with the moly grease originally recommended. That was on stainless to stainless, very small surface area (0.020"x 0.020" with 4 lbs pressure max, so psi was pretty high. Saved the day.
Just out of curiosity I ran the test up to 1 million cycles and that stuff never allowed galling.
If you match Krytox to the right application it's incredible stuff.

For a long time Krytox was used by Toyota on CV joints! It worked great! Like all things useing the right Krytox product is the trick!

Check with McMaster-Carr, industrial suppliers to the manufacturing industry. Krytox is widely used throughout the paper industry to lubricate the bearings of pressurized steam vessels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back