Motorcraft FL500S prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps like many others, I have been frustrated by the availability (deficit) and prices (inflated) of the FL500S oil filter for my 3.0 Fusion. After an initial OC using a NAPA Gold, I began an online search for the Motorcraft filter (IMO, the NAPA is a fine filter, but I prefer MC).

Finally, I ordered 6 FL500S filters at a price of $35.72 including shipping, i.e. $5.95 each. Now I'm a happy camper 'cause that price is about 1/2 of what some local dealers were quoting and I don't have to waste gas shopping.

they changed it mid year i think. i do believe the threads are the same? i had a fl500 and 820s side by side and the threads look the same.

i'll find out tonight at work.

Originally Posted By: jmaster
they changed it mid year i think. i do believe the threads are the same? i had a fl500 and 820s side by side and the threads look the same.

i'll find out tonight at work.

The threads are the same. They're a little different in size, but the big difference seems to be the bypass setting. I have no idea what the rationale was for the change--if it was a clearance issue or they wanted the lower bypass setting:

Motorcraft Number FL500s
Part Number: 57502
Principal Application: Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner (2009) w/ 3.0L engine - Ford Taurus, Edge, Mercury Sable w/ V6 3.5L mfg after 1/16/2009
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.09
Outer Diameter Top: 2.942
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM
Beta Ratio
Burst Pressure
Normal Micron Rating
Gasket Diameters

OD 2.753
ID 2.397
THK 0.25

Motorcraft Number FL820s
Part Number: 51372
Principal Application: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (91-09), Mazda (00-09), Cadillac STS-V, XLR-V (06-09)
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.167
Outer Diameter Top: 3.66
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Beta Ratio 2/20=12/25
Burst Pressure 275
Normal Micron Rating 19
Gasket Diameters

OD 2.834
ID 2.462
THK 0.2

Knowing what little I do about oil filters, if there's that large of a difference in the bypass value, there's probably that large of a difference in the media. In other words, if the FL-500S bypasses at 8 PSI and the FL-820S bypasses at 16 PSI, the 500S probably has a less restrictive media and probably flows more at a lower operational pressure, like at idle maybe (although the MAX FLOW RATE remains largely unchanged).

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Knowing what little I do about oil filters, if there's that large of a difference in the bypass value, there's probably that large of a difference in the media. In other words, if the FL-500S bypasses at 8 PSI and the FL-820S bypasses at 16 PSI, the 500S probably has a less restrictive media and probably flows more at a lower operational pressure, like at idle maybe (although the MAX FLOW RATE remains largely unchanged).

Thoughts?

Please, don't make me do the maths on this one. My head hurts thinking about it. If you look though the other spec's, the FL-500 is more restrictive (flow rates are given for each filter), but just eyeballing it, the difference in bypass setting seems to be much more than the difference in flow rates. I can't say for sure though until I do some cipherin'...

I'm thinking the change was for the bypass setting, but at this point that's total speculation on my part.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Thoughts?

Please, don't make me do the maths on this one. My head hurts thinking about it. If you look though the other spec's, the FL-500 is more restrictive (flow rates are given for each filter), but just eyeballing it, the difference in bypass setting seems to be much more than the difference in flow rates. I can't say for sure though until I do some cipherin'...

I'm thinking the change was for the bypass setting, but at this point that's total speculation on my part.

They could have lowered the bypass setting to ensure the filter media will not get damaged with too much PSID across it - maybe there was a media change.

But if the FL-500 is more restrictive to flow than the FL-820S (or even the same), then they have reduced the headroom available for media loading before bypass mode occurs. In other words, I would think the FL-500 would take much less loading to get to bypass mode than the FL-820S would.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Since when did the 3L Duratech stop using the readily available and cheaper FL820s?

For the Fusion 3.0, the spec change from FL820 to FL500 was dated late September 2008, i.e. for the 2009 models forward.

I won't get into the 'why' of the change by FoMoCo 'cause I lack any info, but I have seen it suggested elsewhere that a change in oil pump pressure might have been involved.

The Purolator P1 cross reference number is PL22500. Better than an MC and 40% off if you use the right coupon codes from Advances's website. Worked for me!
smile.gif

I just screwed on a PL24651 (820S) on to the '09 Fusion. I already had half a dozen for my car. If I didnt, I would probably just use an FL-820S from Wallys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back