Replaced '05 Suburban 5.3 water pump: easy DIY job

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Suburban Z-71 w/ 5.3 was leaking coolant yesterday. It was coming from bottom of pump.

About two months ago I flushed the system (DIY) with Prestone Radiator Cleaner then some new Prestone Dex-Cool.

I do not believe the flush had anyting to do with the leak.

I was able to buy from a wholesaler an OEM water pump, T-stat, gasket, and lower AC serpentine belt (all parts OEM AC DELCO) for $203 including tax. Reasonable to me.

Tools needed:
Channel Lock Pliars
3/8" drive socket wrench
Drive extension
15mm socket
10mm socket
Flat head screw driver

Thats it, very easy removal and instalation. I believe the same tools are needed for all GM full size trucks, SUV's.

I even found a 2 part youtube video. VERY informative.

The inside of the pump looked clean with no scaling or gunk build up.

Good luck

-___- i had to replace the water pump on my 96 Jeep 4.0 TWICE in ONE year. first one was faulty and cracked after 8 months.

Originally Posted By: dgee
-___- i had to replace the water pump on my 96 Jeep 4.0 TWICE in ONE year. first one was faulty and cracked after 8 months.

And every time you do it, the job goes a little faster. I know the feeling.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Wonderful and glad to hear it. And they say cars are too hard to work on.

You are the first person who thinks Suburban is a C A R :)

- Vikas

Those pumps are super easy to replace! I've only replaced 1 due to the pump leaking. Usually the gaskets behind the pump leak. Most customers opt to replace the pump while I have it off to replace the gaskets.

finalyzd, you asked about the fan clutch...

Mine has dual electric fans. I didnt have to remove them or the fan shrouds.

If I did it again, I could remove and replace in about an hour.

I replaced the pump on a 2001 Silverado with a mechanical fan. That was an easy job EXCEPT for the fan clutch. None of the parts stores had the proper tool in their loaner program or for sale. I finally borrowed something from NAPA that worked when I rigged it up with two small bolts and some nuts and washers. A tool is needed to hold the pulley while you unscrew the clutch with a big crescent wrench.

The pump was leaking from the weep hole, but the gaskets looked pretty bad and could have been leaking, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back