Royal Purple UPG and CV joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was just wondering does anyone here use RP grease in CV joints? does RP grease contain any moly? for my application this seems to be a big deal that the CV joints on the axels get a grease with moly, but it seems RP would exceed most standard moly wheel bearing grease?

well the grease that the general consensus is that Valvoline SynPower grease is the stuff to go with, but I compared the data sheets and the UPG beats it in pretty much every catagory. I also have 2 tubes of UPG, and need to do my bearings and boots soon, so basically what I am looking for is anyone who has used that grease in a CV application, and is it so necessary to have moly in the grease, and does UPG have any moly content? RP seems to like to keep their formulations somewhat secret...

Last edited:
Paper specs mean what??? Pack one CV with one brand and the other with something else, and you'll find out how good those paper specs really are.

I find that many are switching away from over-hyped greases to what is found locally.

If you require the moly, you need it. Don't use a non-moly grease. Moly offers particular advantages under boundary lubrication conditions, especially where sliding or vibration action pushes the grease away from the contact surface. Moly protects against fretting and galling. And, you wonder why Honda uses 60% moly in some of their shaft drive motorcycles. When the grease is squeezed out, you still have the moly doing its thing. I guess that graphite or teflon would be similar.

I use grease that is available locally. Read the label to see if it has or doesn't have moly.

Well considering I have 2 tubes of RP's UPG that is what I have "locally" cant get much more local than that. which is why I was asking to see if any one had used it for that app. I know they use it on a bullet train so it must be decent stuff...

Quote:
I know they use it on a bullet train so it must be decent stuff...

Any idea what part of the bullet train they use it on?
Not trying to be funny but if it got used on the toilet door hinge they could still make that claim.

If they used it on axle bearings or something similar that would still not automatically make it suitable for CV joints.

CV joints are a PITA to remove grease and re-boot so it pays to get the right stuff in there the first time IMO.

For any rolling element bearing I use mobil SHC 220 synthetic, and all my ball joints and CV joint I use coupling grease. Coupling grease has excelent properties, it's designed for sliding friction and doesn't wash out or run, it alos doesn't seperate under centrifugal force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back