89 toyota needs grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone, I've had this truck for amost 4 years now and I've never greased it. no matter how long I look under there, I can't find any zerk fittings. also don't know of any exact areas that need to be greased as I've never done it before.

it's an 89 toyota 4x4 pickup with the 3.0 v6

hope this was the right place to post..

Some cars don't have greaseable joints. If you didn't see zerk fittings - or removable plugs for zerk fittings - then the suspension is non-grease-serviceable.

This is partly the manufacturer's push to produce a car that 'perceiveably' requires less maintenance than cars made previously, NOT because they make superior suspension components! It's the old pay-me-now or pay-me-later game, catering to the people who abhor bringing their car in and paying for regular maintenance.

I don't think I've ever seen a Toyota 4x4 that did not have at least 6 zerks on the drive (propellor) shafts.

Crawl under it and take a good look at the U-joint area and you should see them.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I have nearly a dozen+ grease points on my '90, 4X4 Toyota extended cab. IF you have the double cardan joints...look in those three holes in the shield on the propeller shaft. You have to rotate the shaft to line the zerts up with the holes. That means "moving" the truck back and forth...or rotatiing it by hand with the brake off and in neutral. Be careful if you do it that way! There are spiders and slider yokes (perhaps with zerks on yours) near the rear and one or two at the front. More in the front on a 4x4. Surely you have zerks on that truck. If it has a slider yoke you'll have a zerk. But, I'm just guessing about yours based on mine.

***** Try www.helminc.com for an '89 manual (or service books) as these have grease diagrams in them, etc., for your truck. Mine does. *****

There are also two zerks on the steering, one each side....look inside your front wheel wells..there right on top on some suspension stuff. I use the moly lithium complex in there.

Here are greases I use:
Use a moly lithium complex in the cardans. Amsoil makes a nice one.Use lithium complex in the Spider joints and sliders. (Mystic 6 in the RED label or if your lucky find the semi-synthetic in the BLUE label. Try Pepboys. Don't get the Green label...it's Calcium based.)

Hope this helps some. Just make sure you get Lithium Complex greases and hope someone else didn't put an incompatable grease in there before you got it. If in doubt, purge it out.

My 1986 Toyota 4X4 had a place for Zerk fittings on every single U-Joint and chasis,steering and sus. part! They had plugs from the factory though. I had to pick up some Zerk fitting and install them. The double cardan(sp) joint on the fron prop. shaft has a lot of lube points.

Ball Joints,tierrod ends,all the U-Joints,Idler arm,pitman arm,shackles,body mounts etc......They owners manual has a picture/drawing off all the lube points inthe rear section!

I used to have the same '89 (my bro-in-law now has it with 200K on it). The Zerks are not installed from the factory. Pull the plugs, put 'em in and your good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back