UOA 7.3 SD @338,000 mi. Rotella 15-40 Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I missed it, but you went 13,000 miles with the AME in the PS, then you have two Rotella runs, this one and the one here for 5K miles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...749#Post1420749

In the same thread you went 5200 miles on the Rotella.

1.7 ppm Fe per 1K on Rotella vs 1.6 Fe per 1K AME. The rest of the numbers are actually just in the noise range, even for Amsoil which again went almost 3X as long (and some numbers are even lower on an absolute basis)

I don't see how a DMax is related?

DMAX with AME. (uoa's short form)

32,000mi 8.9K oil 72,000 10K oil 91.000 9.5k oil
Alu 3 8 2
Fe 15 26 18
Cu 3 5 2
Tin 2 1 1
Tbn 8.1 8.4 8.8
Vis 14.05 14.3 13.0

Sry perhaps i'm asking too much but for the $ I am unimpressed.
I probably would have had the same results with dino at the same intervals

Last edited:
Other than Fe, your other metals are completely in the noise level. In general DMAX engines throw more Fe than PS's. Your middle run had a small Fe spike - can we say the oil itself caused this? Would another oil have not done this? Hard to say. Impossible to prove. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Excellent TBN retention.

Pablo in all fairness since its raining today & I don't feel like changing my oil in Dmax I have decided to take the AME which already has 10,079 mi on it out to 18,000mi before I change. Which be be double the mi of all previous OCI.
& perhaps help you and rid myself of obsessive-compulsive oil change disorder or OCOCD

Pablo, I disagree with your assessment on "noise" numbers.

The universal Blackstone numbers for a Dmax are based upon a 6.6k miles OCI, and the wear metals are all typically in the single digits or low teens.

Even if you want to call those Amsoil AME numbers in the "noise" range, why does it make sense to pay for "noise" at 3x the cost for the same "noise" you can get from dino oil?

There are a LOT of dino UOAs on Dmax engines that show 10k mile OCIs are very safe and quite often give lower wear metal numbers than the use of Amsoil. Often you'll see Fe elevated in a Dmax UOA typically when it's associated with Amsoil. My UOAs with dino oil have always been at or LOWER than the averages.

The goal is to get the least wear for the least cost, over any chosen maintenacne OCI duration. Since synthetics cost approximately 3x more money, then you would expect to get either 3x less wear, or 3x more life out of the oil. The 3x less wear over 10k miles CLEARLY does not happen with Amsoil (or any syn for that matter), so the only way to get ROI is to extend the OCI. And if the owner is unwilling or unable to do that, there is simply no payback whatsoever. That's not just true of Amsoil; it's true of ANY synthetic.

I do understand, agree with, and profess that there are times when the use of syns make good sense. I actually have some syn oil in some of my equipment right now. But they are NOT a pefect answer for every application. For Ottomatic, they don't seem to be paying off and he has the data to show it.

Ottomatic purposely limits his OCIs to 5k for dino a-to-moderatend 10k for syns. It's simply cheaper for him to OCI more often with dino, given his desire for low OCI cycles. Synthetics cannot pull down wear to 1/3 the level of dino oil in short cycles, period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Pablo, I disagree with your assessment on "noise" numbers.

The universal Blackstone numbers for a Dmax are based upon a 6.6k miles OCI, and the wear metals are all typically in the single digits or low teens.

Even if you want to call those Amsoil AME numbers in the "noise" range, why does it make sense to pay for "noise" at 3x the cost for the same "noise" you can get from dino oil?

There are a LOT of dino UOAs on Dmax engines that show 10k mile OCIs are very safe and quite often give lower wear metal numbers than the use of Amsoil.

I realize that I often seem to pick on your product line, and that's not my intent, but I also must call facts out as I see them as they exist in the real world.

I have NEVER, EVER seen Amsoil perform "better" than a dino oil at short to moderate durations in a Dmax. Never, ever. Just doesn't happen. I know because I pour over every one I can find, as a Dmax owner myself. At the very best, you might see Amsoil perform on the same level as a dino in regard to wear, up to 10k miles. And quite often, as you and I have been at odds over, the Amsoil will significantly spike the Cu and Fe in a Dmax.

Now, I completely agree that those three short UOA sequences he put up there show Amsoil doing a decent job. But the point is that any dino oil can do that good (and perhaps better) for a lot less money of the 10k miles.

It seems that you always miss the very simple concept of how to choose a lube. The goal is to get the least wear for the least cost, over any chosen maintenacne OCI duration.
Since synthetics cost approximately 3x more money, then you would expect to get either 3x less wear, or 3x more life out of the oil. The 3x less wear over 10k miles CLEARLY does not happen with Amsoil, so the only way to get ROI is to extend the OCI. And if the owner is unwilling or unable to do that, there is simply no payback whatsoever. That's not just true of Amsoil; it's true of ANY synthetic.

Ottomatic purposely limits his OCIs to 5k for dino and 10k for syns. It's simply cheaper for him to OCI more often with dino, given his desire for low OCI cycles. Synthetics cannot pull down wear to 1/3 the level of dino oil in short cycles, period.

I'm tired of dealing with blind biased moderators!!!

Here is what he posted:

Quote:
Alu 3 8 2
Fe 15 26 18
Cu 3 5 2
Tin 2 1 1

Here is what I wrote:

Quote:
Other than Fe, your other metals are completely in the noise level.

How and why you turned that into ANOTHER Anti-Amsoil Screed is beyond me. Never once did I see you comment in earlier in THIS thread which is about a PSD, last I checked, how Amsoil actually has better numbers.

I'll again ask three things:

1) I want you tell all the readers why Amsoil didn't "spike" copper in this Dmax engine. I doubt you can do that, but I ask and wait.

2) I also want you to prove WITHOUT A DOUBT that ALL metal in a UOA is from wear (which you constantly write). You base you oil purchasing logic for others to follow using this idea, so a little proof should not be too much to ask.

3) And prove (which you never have yet) that when copper does temporarily go up with Amsoil in SOME Dmax engine, Fe does as well. You have posted a few inconclusive UOA's in the past, don't waste your time with that. Post some actual proof.

You won't do these things, but it's only fair to ask. I clearly stated EARLIER that it doesn't make sense to use any full synthetic HDEO lube for 5K OCI's. IF you are looking for a lower oil priced oil for short OCI's, there are some really nice HDEO's on the market. Heck Amsoil makes an extended drain syn-blend that can be had for $20/gallon!

ottomatic... What do you use for fuel additive? I've been looking at a best option.. I live in the Pacific Northwest and thinking of using the Stanadyne when my Redline runs out...

btw, I too have decided to replace my dino factory fill with synth (Schaefer 9000)... I'm at 1400 miles...

The goal is to get the least wear for the least cost, over any chosen maintenacne OCI duration. Since synthetics cost approximately 3x more money, then you would expect to get either 3x less wear, or 3x more life out of the oil. The 3x less wear over 10k miles CLEARLY does not happen with Amsoil (or any syn for that matter), so the only way to get ROI is to extend the OCI. And if the owner is unwilling or unable to do that, there is simply no payback whatsoever. That's not just true of Amsoil; it's true of ANY synthetic.

That may be true, but for my $ spent, I don't need a 1:1, or even remotely close price:performance ratio.. I'm perfectly happy to pay 3x the price, for 1% better performance to be honest, but that's just me.. I'm a cash buyer and keep my cars/trucks for 10+ years.. I'd like to keep this truck 20+

BTW.. Pablo, I don't see him as being anti-Amsoil.. he's just generally not a fan of synthetics, which is fair enough, he's coming from a very practical perspective, and some people probably appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: PDX2500HD

That may be true, but for my $ spent, I don't need a 1:1, or even remotely close price:performance ratio.. I'm perfectly happy to pay 3x the price, for 1% better performance to be honest, but that's just me.. I'm a cash buyer and keep my cars/trucks for 10+ years.. I'd like to keep this truck 20+

BTW.. Pablo, I don't see him as being anti-Amsoil.. he's just generally not a fan of synthetics, which is fair enough, he's coming from a very practical perspective, and some people probably appreciate that.

You are probably correct. But I don't quite think he is on firm logic as popular opinion may think. Let's have him properly address my three points.

I didn't search too hard - but remember the Schaefers elevated Pb threads? Where was dnewton? I haven't looked for M1 Diesel threads.....pointless really.

It's good he changed his post from the first one I quoted. He softened it a bit as you can see. Oh well, interesting is all.

Seems the dino works well, unless I'm reading wrong. I'd stick with the dino, your program works for taking care of that vehicle.

1) I want you tell all the readers why Amsoil didn't "spike" copper in this Dmax engine. I doubt you can do that, but I ask and wait.

I cannot explaint it, but then again, if you recall, neither can Amsoil! If they cannot explain it, I don't have to either. If you recall from some of my other posts, I clearly state that this "spiked Cu" event does not always happen. I clearly stated that both Amsoil and I cannot explain what this occurs to some Dmax engines, but not others. Intersting that you would accept their explination, but not mine, when they are the same basic statement.

2) I also want you to prove WITHOUT A DOUBT that ALL metal in a UOA is from wear (which you constantly write). You base you oil purchasing logic for others to follow using this idea, so a little proof should not be too much to ask.

I never, ever said that, and for you to infer that I did means you either don't read very closely, or you want to skew the topic. Clearly some metals are from the chemical reactions you profess. I agree that this happens. The underlying question is that none of us, you and I included, can tell how much is wear and how much is chemical stripping. And for some people, including me, I want as little removal as possible, regardless of origin. You cannot argue that metal removal is a good thing; your arugement is based upon the fact that some forms of metal removal are acceptable and some are not. That does not sit well with me, and others. I agree that some metal removal is inevitable, but that does not make it desireable. Those are two different concpets. I recognize that I'm getting older, but that does not mean I like it, or that I desire it. Same goes for wear metals and chemical stripping; I recognize them, but that does not mean I want them to happen. Your argument is based upon the fact that you think that because it's "normal" in an Amsoil UOA, it must be OK for it to happen. My logic is otherwise; I don't want any metals if I can help it, not at all, not ever.

Further, you (as a QE) must certainly recognize that spiked Cu in UOAs means whatever underlying issues might possibly exist,and will be masked by the very high "chemical reaction". You, and Amsoil, cannot explain that risk away. I recently read of another person that used Amsoil in his Dmax and it took well over 50k miles for the Cu to come down to normal. I didn't make that up; I didn't prompt his statment. But that is a LONG time to wait for Cu to "normalize" if you ask me. That is a long time to risk having some other event by being masked by a "chemical reaction.

3) And prove (which you never have yet) that when copper does temporarily go up with Amsoil in SOME Dmax engine, Fe does as well. You have posted a few inconclusive UOA's in the past, don't waste your time with that. Post some actual proof

To the contrary, I've posted some very direct UOAs that show this sympathic relationship. You just choose to ignore them.

This is about Amsoil in a Dmax because someone else brought it up, not me. But once the topic is opened up, so be it.

My point of the "noise levels" is true of ANY synthetic under these circumstances. To say that these Amsoil UOAs are within the noise levels is to say that Amsoil performed on par with dino oils, which is what the vast majority of the "universal averages" is based upon. So, in effect, Amsoil by your own recognition, did no better than dino oils.

I've answered your three questions. Now, please answer my one question:

If any lube can perform to the same desired level under the same "normal" circumstances, why pay 3x more money for any product?

Last edited:

I cannot explaint it, but then again, if you recall, neither can Amsoil! If they cannot explain it, I don't have to either. If you recall from some of my other posts, I clearly state that this "spiked Cu" event does not always happen. I clearly stated that both Amsoil and I cannot explain what this occurs to some Dmax engines, but not others. Intersting that you would accept their explination, but not mine, when they are the same basic statement.

I never, ever said that, and for you to infer that I did means you either don't read very closely, or you want to skew the topic. Clearly some metals are from the chemical reactions you profess. I agree that this happens. The underlying question is that none of us, you and I included, can tell how much is wear and how much is chemical stripping. And for some people, including me, I want as little removal as possible, regardless of origin. You cannot argue that metal removal is a good thing; your arugement is based upon the fact that some forms of metal removal are acceptable and some are not. That does not sit well with me, and others. I agree that some metal removal is inevitable, but that does not make it desireable. Those are two different concpets. I recognize that I'm getting older, but that does not mean I like it, or that I desire it. Same goes for wear metals and chemical stripping; I recognize them, but that does not mean I want them to happen. Your argument is based upon the fact that you think that because it's "normal" in an Amsoil UOA, it must be OK for it to happen. My logic is otherwise; I don't want any metals if I can help it, not at all, not ever.

Further, you (as a QE) must certainly recognize that spiked Cu in UOAs means whatever underlying issues might possibly exist,and will be masked by the very high "chemical reaction". You, and Amsoil, cannot explain that risk away. I recently read of another person that used Amsoil in his Dmax and it took well over 50k miles for the Cu to come down to normal. I didn't make that up; I didn't prompt his statment. But that is a LONG time to wait for Cu to "normalize" if you ask me. That is a long time to risk having some other event by being masked by a "chemical reaction.

3) And prove (which you never have yet) that when copper does temporarily go up with Amsoil in SOME Dmax engine, Fe does as well. You have posted a few inconclusive UOA's in the past, don't waste your time with that. Post some actual proof

To the contrary, I've posted some very direct UOAs that show this sympathic relationship. You just choose to ignore them.

This is about Amsoil in a Dmax because someone else brought it up, not me. But once the topic is opened up, so be it.

My point of the "noise levels" is true of ANY synthetic under these circumstances. To say that these Amsoil UOAs are within the noise levels is to say that Amsoil performed on par with dino oils, which is what the vast majority of the "universal averages" is based upon. So, in effect, Amsoil by your own recognition, did no better than dino oils.

I've answered your three questions. Now, please answer my one question:

If any lube can perform to the same desired level under the same "normal" circumstances, why pay 3x more money for any product?

1) Amsoil never actually answered why it doesn't happen in some engines, so it's not a matter of accepting it.

2) You almost always write "wear" metal(s).

3) You have yet to actually prove this relationship.

I actually have said 3 times now, for short intervals there is no need for full synthetic oils.

But you actually said 1,2,3,4 and 5 PPM of "wear metals" are not in the noise range.....that I find hilarious. A UOA is a very blunt instrument for picking oils and given all the lab and sampling error - for you to have some opinion that a UOA picks up actual wear in short intervals is nothing new for a BITOGer, but to say "LOT of dino UOAs ......10K mile OCIs give lower wear metal numbers than the use of Amsoil." Is fairly irresponsible. I actually have said 4 times now, for short intervals there is no need for full synthetic oils and you say I don't read or absorb your writing.

We do not have blind biased moderators. They may not always agree with your point of view. They look at the facts and the board rules and then make a decision. The moderators and admins make informed decisions concerning the topics on this website. These gentlemen give their time to provide the members with a place to go to find the latest information concerning our favorite subject -- oil. They help provide a place you can visit without fear of being flamed for expressing a different opinion

Originally Posted By: hr1940
We do not have blind biased moderators. They may not always agree with your point of view. They look at the facts and the board rules and then make a decision. The moderators and admins make informed decisions concerning the topics on this website. These gentlemen give their time to provide the members with a place to go to find the latest information concerning our favorite subject -- oil. They help provide a place you can visit without fear of being flamed for expressing a different opinion

Of course you are correct. The moderators on BITOG do a good job of keeping the personal attacks out of it.

I was wrong for writing that single line. I apologize to BITOG. The mods are not all blind to the writings of others, and while they have their bias, they are allowed to express lube related opinions as we all are.

Pablo, I tire of this; I'm sure you do to.

Let's summarize what we can agree on. Things that most of us would accept with little reservation:
1) dino oils are perfectly capable for "normal" OCIs
2) synthetics far outpace conventional oils when the OCIs are extended
3) synthetics far outpace conventional oils when e-x-t-r-e-m-e temps are expected
4) For some people, OCIs are a fiscal decision, based upon a total maintenance plan approach; for others, they eschew logic and run with emotion. Either way works for the individual because they only have to satisfy themselves
5) Amsoil, in particular, is an excellent product line overall, and has many good things to offer and a stellar reputation earned over many decades of business
6) Some synthetic brands tend to have a significant propensity to spike Cu levels in Dmax equipped vehicles; it's not unique to Amsoil, but it is noteworthy; it also is unpredictable as to why it happens in some units but not others
7) Elevated Cu levels from certain lubricants are very likely a chemical reaction; that reaction will most always "normalize" over time, but that duration varies greatly, and is as unpredictable as the actual occurence itself
8) Oil analysis services such as Blackstone and Oil Analyzers have flagged really high Cu as cautionary (I am using "cautionary" as a generic term), and at times, labeled it as abrasive (their words, not mine)
9) We have no way of knowing, when we see elevated Cu levels, how much wear is attributed to chemical reaction, and how much may or may not be mechanical wear; in other words, the percentage of mechanical wear to chemical wear is an unknown
10) significantly high wear metals, should their origin be "chemical reaction" based, have to ability to mask other events that would be visible otherwise

Let's recap what we don't see eye-to-eye on. Things where you and I clearly don't agree with other:
1) Cu spikes may or may not be harmful, when in statistically significant magnitudes on the order of 100x or 1000x over the "universal average"
2) Cu spikes may or may not cause other wear metals to be affected

What I see is that we agree much more than we disagree. But to some of us (myself included) the devil is in the details. You're welcome to tweak these two lists, but I don't think it's going to change my view at this point.

This topic rages on at other sites as well. Here's the downside for me. I've been involved in so many of these threads that I cannot track where I've read everything at times. I struggle upon occasion to remember where I've bookmarked particular posts as "proof". I distinctly know that I read an answer from Amsoil on this very topic, but for the life of me I cannot locate it. To be blunt, their answer was wishy-washy, at least to me. They (one of Amsoil's tech people) specifically stated that they could not explain why this phenomonon happens in some Dmax vehicles and not others; they do understand it to be a chemical reaction, but they cannot predict why some units are affected while others go untouched. What I also know is that I now have about 280 UOAs in my database that speak to diesel engine/oil combo's. I know what I see in my analysis.

Inside the confines of these eletronic walls, we're bound by the terms and rules we self-imposed by joining the forum. Outside this place, I would actually grip your hand with great conviction, and wish you the best. So here is my (politically correct) statement:
May you have pleasing life Experiences Resulting from Repeated joys, in which You and your family partake and Cherrish, Honor, Revel In each others Soothing company, Trusting in all and recieving from Many, And in ways that Santa cannot bring.

Last edited:
Pretty much I agree. There may be few fine points I could dig on, but I'm leaving it be. There are a couple general points that readers should also consider.

Here's a two more.

1) Synthetic oils in general - at the extremes, and probably applies a bit more to gassers than diesels, promote engine cleanliness. Some engines, at the max recommended OCI will have more piston and ring build-up with petroleum based oils than with synthetic based oils. Of course I'm NOT saying just using dino oil will make your engine dirty, and the newest oils are even better, and a bunch a fill in the blank nuances, but take an engine to 10K OCI's for 300,000 miles and everything else equal, the synthetic oil engine will look cleaner. Look at the Redline and M1 pictures over the years, then look at some dino oil pics at the extremes - yes mostly are indeed abuse and neglect, terrible examples - but I dare say some of that sludge would not be there with synthetic oil.

2) UOA's should not be taken as a "wear o' meter". One oil giving 12 ppm of Fe at 10K intervals, another giving 24 ppm of Fe at 10K intervals - both engines will still be running fine at 300,000 miles and the one throwing 24 ppm Fe will not have a bunch more slop in the moving parts.

I have to go to work now - but I'm off until into next year. So I will relax and not be so jumpy with the "SUBMIT" button.

Thank you for the well reasoned response.

Paul

Ottomatic - Do you use a block heater in the winter with the 15w40 dino you are using? Oh wait, I see you are in Florida. I am very impressed with the Delvac 15W40 I use in my MB diesel. I have been using a block heater this winter in NC even though I probably don't need to. MB states an OCI of 5K miles for my engine which I follow. I use the same Diesel Kleen additives you do, although it is difficult to know if they really do anything. Why do you use the antigel formula in Florida?

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Ottomatic - MB states an OCI of 5K miles for my engine which I follow. I use the same Diesel Kleen additives you do, although it is difficult to know if they really do anything. Why do you use the antigel formula in Florida?

I travel alot & it's cheap insurance.
In fact I will be in New Bern, NC area bear hunting tomorrow.

BTW;I have owned 4 MB diesels and always did 4,000 mi OCI on all using Mann filters and Rotella T and Diesel Kleen. I would buy them with 100,000 mi on them. and put another 1-200,000 mi on them. 2 of the MB were sold, 2 were wrecked. None ever had a mechanical problem. Fantastic cars.

PS ; I have an 1982 MB 300TD (wagon) with 215,000 mi on it which was rear ended. I am looking to part out or sell out right. It has the Euro headlights ,beige paint with tan interior. Car is in E. TN,

Last edited:
Are you hunting in the Croatan Natl Forest? Lot's of Gamelands there, I've been camping in it, nice place but HOT in the summer.

I generally use the Mann filters too, but picked up some really nice NAPA Gold filters last year for the time being. Once I use up my Delvac stash I might try Rotella for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back