How do you test a used 4wd to see if it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KST

When looking for a used 4wd/awd vehicle, how do you test to see if it works? I have read that putting them on stands will activate the ABS

so anyway to test them before one buys?

Quick and dirty:

Accelerate hard on a low mU (sandy, snowy, dirty, gravely) surface. If you cant tell by the seat of your pants - an outside observer can look for wheel slip.

If its 4wd/RWD insure you can engage/disengage relaibly - many have some quirks in getting the the transfer case in or out. You'll know when you are in 4wd with a "truck" style engaged - youll have a hard time making tight turns on a high friction surface. without dragging or hopping a wheel.
-
My 4wd 5mt V6 Silverado had a "4WD" lamp on the cluster that was lit when engaged - and the MIL lamp should lite if something in the system is not functioning.

Last edited:
That's a tough one with a modern AWD system unless you can try it on ice/snow. The good thing (depending on how you look at it?), they'll light up all kinds of malfunction indicators if something IS wrong. Like ARCO says, truck based systems are easy. You will feel it on dry pavement when making turns. Not good for the vehicle, but OK for a quick test.

Joel

In addition to all that if you have the seller sitting shotgun and he cringes when you turn in 4wd on pavement you know he knows something about 4wd and how you're abusing it.

I've ridden with some real dullards who engage 4wd on the road just before making a 90 degree turn onto a dirt road "Because they're going to need it." Then when traffic clears they really nail the gas to turn left and it screeches forward.
mad.gif

With AWD one test to ensure differentials are working correctly is to both back up and turn hard in each direction listening for clunking and feeling for jerking/crabbing. Both are bad. You should feel no extra pressure when turning really hard.

Lastly if AWD run around and make sure tires matched in size/brand/model and wear. If not there is a potential for expensive issues.

4wd I would put it in driving straight on dry pavement. See how it engages. You will definitely feel the vehicle get very tight in steering. Also disengage it while driving nearly perfectly straight. Note it will bang/thund sometimes if you are a bit off from going straight on dry pavement.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Quick and dirty:

Accelerate hard on a low mU (sandy, snowy, dirty, gravely) surface. If you cant tell by the seat of your pants - an outside observer can look for wheel slip.

If its 4wd/RWD insure you can engage/disengage relaibly - many have some quirks in getting the the transfer case in or out. You'll know when you are in 4wd with a "truck" style engaged - youll have a hard time making tight turns on a high friction surface. without dragging or hopping a wheel.
-
My 4wd 5mt V6 Silverado had a "4WD" lamp on the cluster that was lit when engaged - and the MIL lamp should lite if something in the system is not functioning.

I don't trust the idiot light. My 04 Xterra would have the light lit but not be engaged. The quirk with mine was I that I had been just sliding the stick down to 4H which would turn the light on but not engage. I had to actually PUSH the stick IN and then down to engage. Didn't help I had to also "roll" the truck back 15-20ft to use the blasted thing at times per the owners manual or be gliding at 10mph to engage properly. I would hear the Auto-Hubs engage and you would feel the truck basically gain more control.

Originally Posted By: KST
When looking for a used 4wd/awd vehicle, how do you test to see if it works? I have read that putting them on stands will activate the ABS

so anyway to test them before one buys?
Take it somewhere where you can activate the 4WD system. A gravel road, power line utility road, snowy parking lot, etc are all great places to test the 4WD.....if the seller balks, walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back