Traveller 15W40 CI-4 w/ LM MOS2 - 2005 Jeep CRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received the results of my first oil analysis on my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. It was done by Oil Analyzers INC with a kit obtained via Amsoil. 51775 miles on the vehicle, 2200 miles on the oil, roughly 800 miles since adding an entire can of Lubro Moly MOS2 moly oil additive. Engine is a VM Motori 2.8 L inline 4 turocharged diesel, 7 quart sump capacity with a Mobil 1 M1-301 filter. Oil is Traveller All Fleet Premium Diesel 15W40 conventional API CI-4 obtained from Tractor Supply Company (note - Traveller has since switched over to the CJ-4 rating). For the past 18 months, vehicle has seen what would qualify as severe duty - roughly 90% stop and go driving in town, short commute less than 10 miles each way. Mann & Hummel Provent Crankcase Vent filter, EGR disabled.

Iron - 6
Copper - 1
Aluminum - 4
Silicon - 8
Sodium - 18
Moly - 261
Magnesium - 263
Calcium - 2264
Barium - 1
Phosphorus - 1092
Zinc - 1236
Fuel - 0.3%
Soot - 0.3%
Water - < 0.1%
Viscosity 100C - 12.6
TBN - 7.67
Oxidation - 7
Nitrates - 9

All other values reading 0 or not tested. Air filter is a NAPA Gold made by Wix approx 1 year old. I've been using conventional 15W40 diesel oil and changing every 5K miles due to the climate in San Antonio TX and the severe duty type of driving I've been doing.

The only concern is the decreased 100C vis possibly due to fuel dilution (though 0.3% is minimal) and shearing. Could it be due to the lower viscosity of the additive? What was the volume of the additve and the sump volume?
You have lots of TBN left. What is so adverse about the climate in San Antonio?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
The only concern is the decreased 100C vis possibly due to fuel dilution (though 0.3% is minimal) and shearing. Could it be due to the lower viscosity of the additive? What was the volume of the additve and the sump volume?
You have lots of TBN left. What is so adverse about the climate in San Antonio?

Charlie

The Lubro Moly MOS2 additive was a 300 ml can, added to 7 quarts total sump capacity. The additive mixture did seem quite thin, poured like very thin machine oil - most likely intended just as a carrier medium for the moly compound.

Oil initially had zero moly in it - 300 ml can put the concentration for 7 quarts of oil to 261 ppm.

I have been concerned about fuel dilution and soot buildup, considering the type of driving I'm doing is considered "severe duty" for a diesel - less than 10 miles each way to work in 35 and 45 mph stop and go traffic, lots of stoplights and idling, only 15 to 20 minutes run time, engine never getting fully warmed up even in summer. Add to that the temps in the summer in San Antonio routinely get to 100 F plus with humidity in the 90's, meaning A/C on full blast as well. That's why I've been using a 15W40 CI-4 oil and changing every 5K miles - from the fuel and soot levels after just 2200 miles, with the OEM's recommended OCI of 5K to 7K miles under normal circumstnces, perhaps I haven't been far wrong.

One other item to note - which might partially explain the viscosity - and also my concern over the fuel and soot levels -

When I last changed oil 2200 miles ago, I did something akin to a "oil flush" of the engine - after draining out the old oil and removing the old filter, I installed a $3 ordinary Fram filter and filled the engine with 5 quarts of OReilly house brand 5W30 gasser engine oil. I idled the engine for 15 minutes, to let the 5W30 gasser oil flush out as much soot as possible, then drained it out and removed the Fram filter. Then I installed a Mobil 1 M1-301 filter and the 7 quarts of 15W40 CI-4 diesel oil.

When I drained out the 5W30 oil, it was as black and nasty as the old diesel oil I'd initially drained out. After putting in the 15W40 and idling for 10 minutes, the oil on the dipstick was still clear with just a tinge of black to it. After 50 to 100 miles it also became completely black.

One - some residual 5W30 left in the engine might explain the lower 100C viscosity, along with the 300 ml of the LM oil additive.

Two - After the "flush", I essentially had a "clean" engine with fresh oil that stayed clear for 50 to 100 miles - and after only 2200 miles, fuel and soot levels are already up to 0.3%. THAT is what has me concerned. Talking with other Jeep CRD owners, it does seem this particular VM Motori diesel tends to "soot up" the oil rather quickly.

You'll also get excessive soot & fuel from the short trips and not-fully warmed-up engine-IMO the WORST scenario for any vehicle, especially a diesel one. I'm not sure the hot weather would hurt anything, you never really get fully warmed up anyway. If I were you I would keep doing what you're doing-changing early with a less-expensive 15W40-BUT, I would get it good and HOT when I drained it-that way you could get as much soot (& oil) out as possible & skip the cost of trying to "rinse" with a (risky) non-diesel rated oil. Just my
49.gif

I've read estimates re the amount of oil left in an engine after a drain when hot: up to 20%, sometimes more. If you figure the 5W30 had a 100C vis of 10.6 and the LubroMoly even less, maybe as low as 5 or 6, I think that explains the vis of 12.9, rather than just 0.3% fuel dilution. If that persists or gets worse, I'd consider having the injectors checked.
0.3% soot in the vast scheme of things isn't much. CI4+ oils can deal with 4% soot or even higher without losing effectiveness.
You could try a longer OCI, maybe 5000 miles, without any 5W30 flushes or LubroMoly addition, and see what happens to the viscosity, fuel and soot %s.
How exactly is the EGR "disabled"? If it is blocked with a plate, fine, but if it is unplugged, I hope you unplugged it after being left cold overnight, otherwise it might be stuck open.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back